1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

Fall Clean Up - Help!

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Joana Williams, Nov 8, 2019.

1. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

It is not something I do on a regular basics, if it helps me out I'll use it. I do not use chemicals so its usually just pulling weeds and cutting things back.

What Is your method?

hort101 likes this.
  2. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Mostly hand pruning and weeding. Minimal use of chemicals.

3. FitzRightMowingService

FitzRightMowingService LawnSite Senior Member

Same here I hate weeding but I get paid well doing it

JFGLN likes this.
  4. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Mmm hmm :weightlifter:

5. Idlewild

Idlewild LawnSite Member

No need for power equipment - just pruners. The begonia & petunia have probably turned to mush
    by now, so just pull. The seeded stems of the rudbeckia in photos can just be cut back to the foliage.
    As hort101 mentioned the dusty miller will sometimes make it through the winter, so just leave as is.
    As also mentioned, the asiatic lily, daylily & hostas can be cut back to a couple inches above ground, no
    worries. I don’t see liriope in photos, but if it exists, as a judgment call I would suggest losing it altogether.
    If you’re not doing this clean up maintenance until Dec., all this plant material in question will be
    dormant & you’ll know what needs to be pruned or pulled.

6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Ive had it survive in a protected area uncut for four seasons
    Another property it was cut to the ground and about 75% came back
    What method have you used?

Good advice from everyone in this thread and agree its obvious once its been frozenThumbs UpThumbs Up

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hosta turns to mush once frozen--easier to cut it back before a killing frost. Just grab the clump and cut it off at 1-inch above the ground with a folding tree saw, (throw the clump into your compost bag.) Use pruners as needed. Pull out tender annuals. Same idea applies to most of the other plants. Perennials will come back--annuals will not. Arrange to plant new annuals in spring. Get customer's OK to cut dusty miller down to one inch. Plant new next year--and if some survives next year--skip that spot.

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Accidental duplicate. Delete.

9. XC skier

XC skier LawnSite Member

I'm with you TPendagast. If I can run the Stander over bed areas I will because it is a huge time saver.

knox gsl and GrassManKzoo like this.
  10. rclawn

rclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Why are you doing estimates in the dark?