Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 1st call for fall cleanups today, I guess they wanted to book in advance, this is my 1st season so I just want to know about Estimateing and how you manage a fall cleanup shedual, but im mostly intrested in how you price a yard and how you mange a schedual for cleaning it up......

Thanks ALOT!!!! please somebody help...

·
930 Posts
Go by the hour. It's about the only feasible way you can do it. Small town here, so I charged about 100/man hour for clean-ups, minimum 1 1/2 hours. MY cleanups went like this:

Blow out beds and rock garden areas.
Mow up the leaves on the lawn and the leaves you blew out of the beds, etc.
Bring it all to the dump.

I'm sure there are alot more people on here that get WAY more than what I got, but I maybe only did 10 each fall, and I still made some good money.

·
Banned
1,647 Posts
It's up to you when you start and how you go through the process

Us.
Leaves fall in October, they are blown out to the lawn and generaly picked up while mowing. Or for the few blown to a pile, tarped and hauled to truck. And we can keep a weekly schedule.

November comes we lost an hour daylight. We remove annuals if we haven't removed for fall plantings. Blow out, tarp it all up and dumped into truck, cut lawn, line trim. We make 3 visits from November to mid December.

Last go through we get the leaves, cut, edge. We're not doing beds cause they are generaly frozen, though our second visit they are spaded.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
This is how I do it.

I charge an hourly rate, usually $50 an hour (for just me), 1 hour min. Ann Arbor, where I mostly work, has 2 street pickups for leaves for each neighborhood in the fall. I schedule the yard clean up a day or two in advance of the street pickup to coincide. I blow everything out to the street to the curb. If necessary I tarp leaves from backyards, etc to the street. Leave a 6 inch gap for rain water. City comes, sucks them up and takes 'em away. I don't have to take anything to the dump. :D Usually do both street pickups for a yard, do about 40 cleanups per season, average.

If leaves are on the ground before the cleanup while I'm still mowing, I'll do a pre-mowing blow really quick to get most of them up and off the yard. And charge for it. I do not like to mow over leaves.

:D

·
Banned
8,742 Posts
you have to inform the customer of the reason for the per hour rate and why you charge per hour. I always tell customer the reason for per hour during fall and spring is because I don't want to over charge them on just bidding one price. They usually buy what I am saying

·
Registered
344 Posts
it will prob take you a few leaf jobs to get the estimating down and then you will still miss one here and there..last yr was my first yr to do leaf cleanups and i am here to tell you that it will take longer than you think to clean them up...make sure to wlk the entire property, kick the leaves up to see the thickness, etc...do not give an hr quote...many homeowners do not understand that something as easy and non-technical as removing leaves should reap 50-100hr...bid the job according to how many times they want them picked up ie, every week while they are dropping (best) three x (good) or one time when they are all down (worst and most exspensive)...invest in good quality backpack blowers, remax 7001's get my vote and blow out the beds and either tarp or collect via mower...nuttin' to it:D

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Paul, either of those mowers will do fine. What I suggest is that you take the bagger off and go over the leaves first to mulch and grind them down a bit, then put the bagger on and pickup all the remaining debris. You will not have to empty the bagger as often and you won't haul off as much if you haul, if you set it by the curb then it won't blow off as easily either.

I hope you mean $50 a man hour? If you have two or even three guys working for $50 an hour, that is $25 a man hour if you have two, much less if you have three. That's not enough to break even probably! Let's say $50 a man hour for instance, then you have 2 guys working the job that is $50x2=$100 an hour billed out. Or three guys- $50x3=$150 an hour billed out. The only way to do cleanups is give them an hourly rate and tell them what all you will be using, how many guys, what the job will include and say approximately how long it may take, stressing the fact that it may take longer. Cleanups always take longer than you think.

Happy leaf-ing! :blob4:

·
Registered
477 Posts
Paul,

What size is the average property in your area???

Can you leave the leaves somewhere on site in many cases?

I find my best money-maker is my Little Wonder 9HP blower...... I use the BP to clean out the beds and the tough areas, then the Little Wonder to blow the bulk, then a final pass with the Lazer with the Ultra-Vac to "polish" the lawn..... picking up the stragglers, and striping the lawn...... leaves a lawn that the customer saw covered with leaves, looking awesome and clean.

Most of my properties are over 3/4 acre....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you must have lot's of oaks and maple trees around your area, those have lot's of leaves so many that a 21" wouldn't be sufficient to aim for a $50 per hour, you'll be overpricing people and next season you'll have no customers.

Around my area most people want a price before you do any job, sometimes you can get away with the hourly charge, I know I average about $70 per hour doing clean ups, that includes driving time also, but it hasn't always being like this, before I had stihl blowers an old 5hp lesco walk behind blower, tarps and rakes and I was making 25 per hour

now it takes less than half the time with this equipment redmax eb-7000 and 7001's fradan 12hp WB (thinking seriously about the little wonder), jrco leaf plow and a friend with a billy goat vacum (only 2 properties that don't have place for leaves).

I have this propertie that it's about 2.5 acres with around 50 large maple trees and oaks in the lawn area, pretty flat, it use to take about 15 man hours and was getting $375, now I charge $400 and it takes 6 to 6.5 hours.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I just moved from Wilmington to Norton ma. I am a one person operation and would charge by hour seeing it is too early to see what the yard look likes. This is my second season my myself and I learned a good lesson last year. My first few cleanups I charged a flat rate depending on how big the yard was and got burnt. It took my longer than i thought.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by simsy71
I just moved from Wilmington to Norton ma. I am a one person operation and would charge by hour seeing it is too early to see what the yard look likes. This is my second season my myself and I learned a good lesson last year. My first few cleanups I charged a flat rate depending on how big the yard was and got burnt. It took my longer than i thought.
Where in Wilmington were you??? and did you do any work here??? :-D small world

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.