Fall pre-emergent questions

ultimateanswer

LawnSite Member
Good day all!
I am in the process of selecting which fall pre-emergent product to use. In season past I have used Simizine once local ground temp averages reach 70*F. However, when I started my own business this past spring, I noticed that the couple of yards that followed me from my old company had some serious breakthrough of poa and henbit. while this is not that big of an issue as on my first round (mid to late Jan) I spray gly at 3oz p/gal and can usually smoke all the trash off before bermuda emergence, I do have a couple of clients with hybrid bermuda varieties that are pretty particular and I'm hoping there's something on the market that has a bit better staying power through the winter. Any recommendations?

Location particulars:
Central Oklahoma
Sandy/loam soil
Mainly bermuda or bermuda hybrids like Patriot 124, Tif419, etc.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
I'll typically use 2 of Specticle at a split rate, 3/3 oz/acre or maybe less if the area is already very thick and hostile to weeds. You can put out as much as 6-8oz/acre at once but I found that it did seem to thin out the roots of the hybrid bermuda so it wasn't as thick to start the next year, so i stopped doing that. Either way, I've learned to push bermuda hard the next spring as soon as it starts greening up.

Max rate Dimension seems to me the most friendly to a thinner stand of bermuda in fall.

Prodiamine also works fine, but Specticle seems to stop everything.

CorgiTurf

LawnSite Senior Member
What did your company you left spray in the fall? Simazine is good on some broadleafs but it’s long past it’s good days with poa.

I do wear a mask... fungicides, especially, and some weed control products

OP
U

ultimateanswer

LawnSite Member
What did your company you left spray in the fall? Simazine is good on some broadleafs but it’s long past it’s good days with poa.

I do wear a mask... fungicides, especially, and some weed control products
At the old company we used pendimethilin at 3/3oz p/1000sqft in spring and simizine in the fall. This is my first season in operation on my own and the issues presented on a couple of yards that followed me from my old company. I've talked with the locally owned chem distributor in OKC (Eckroat Seed) and like someone else earlier suggested, they're recommending Dimension, or the QualiPro generic. So that's the route I'm going to go with this season. I also reached out to a colleague of mine that's a member of faculty at Ok State University's turf science department and asked him the same question. He couldn't explain the henbit break-through but he did say something similar to what @CorgiTurf said that poa is starting to build resistance to simizine due to overuse.
Who all switches their pre-em products regularly? I'm thinking that in order to combat resistance buildup I may start doing this.