1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fall specticle and Spring prodiamine

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Jul 31, 2016.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

any of you warm guys made the switch? Any difference in major root pruning you see?

2. Pigpen253

Pigpen253 LawnSite Member

I have been using Specticle. Keep it off of sandy soils and thin areas and you should be good.

3. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I use it in the semi dormant season on zoysia only. If I apply pre to a lawn in the growing season lower rates of Dimension applied as split applications or else the lower rates of Barricade. These lower rates are not enough to stop spurge, but I do not want to deal with root pruning at a time when I am trying to get grass to recover from months of clouds and cool weather. Gallery is used on lawns with a known broadleaf weed issue.

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Thanks guys. I'm almost wondering if spectacle or prodiamine in fall and them atrazine or gallery in spring would give me enough control.

I'd like to grow lawns in and get them thick and healthy. My client base is really more interested in weed free but that leads to thin spots slower to grow in.

5. greendoctor

My client base demands the same thing. That is why I do not look for answers in chemicals. There is a reason why I am so picky about what is used to mow a lawn, how high it is cut, and even how it is trimmed.

gettinafarmerstan likes this.
  6. tbtigers

tbtigers LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Greendoctor
    Can you talk more about mowing height etc...What height do you like to see on centipede,zoysia etc...
    Sounds like attacking weeds with the least amount of pre and practicing proper maintenance is the overall best approach? Use post emergents along the way?

7. greendoctor

Mowing heights on most warm season grasses except for St Augustine are at or below 1". My lawns are all reel cut. My caution on using preemergents stems from the fact that anything below 1" is not considered lawn height. That is golf height. The good part about mowing warm season turf low is how much density can be encouraged. Bermuda and Zoysia will form a dense sod if reel cut weekly. I do use postemergents when needed as a broadcast treatment. They are a necessity. I do not spot spray because weeds that are missed simply keep on growing. There is no snow or frost to kill weeds. I get to deal with crabgrass or goosegrass that has survived for more than a year, becoming a perennial.

Wes Parker and Patriot Services like this.
  8. scenic turf weed control

scenic turf weed control LawnSite Member

Use ur atrazine in the fall not spring. Then use pendulum 3.3 in the spring n a 3 way like vessel or trimec. Then go back 90 days later n apply another round of pendulum n ur good all summer. No thin lawns. We dont have a problem with thin lawns using this method.

9. Wes Parker

Wes Parker LawnSite Member

Will this work on Centipede?

10. greendoctor

What kind of turf? Probably ok on rough cut common Bermuda or rough cut Zoysia. Not sure if this is ok on other grasses or Bermuda and Zoysia kept low.