Fall Weed Control

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tosa Ken, Oct 3, 2019.

1. Tosa Ken

Tosa Ken LawnSite Member

Last year, with some advice received on this site, I switched to a later fall weed control than usual. I applied Momentum during the first few weeks in October and had great results. This year there weren't any dandelions in spring, knocked down of bunch of creeping charlie, it was great. The only thing not great is a blanket app of Momentum is a tad pricey. Have usually only spot treated with it in the past.

I'm considering using a three-way this fall to, you know, save a little cash. However, if it's not going to be as effective I would stick with what's worked. I guess I'm just wondering, for those who have used three-way in Oct., how were the results? These are lawns in SE Wi.

2. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

maybe consider spiking 3way w/ triclopyr? are you tank mixing or using a ride-on? we use 3way and it works fine for most weeds in fall, however creeping charlie and especially violets work best using something w/ triclopyr in it.

Almost guarantee you could spike your 3way w/ tric and still be cheaper then anything else w/ tricolpyr already mixed in.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Andersman is right. If the price of adding triclopyr is a problem--maybe you could spot spray on top of the broadcast of three-way, just for the violets and ground ivy. This uses a bit more labor time, of course. T-Zone would work well.
    I am not sure a surfactant would help for the spot spray, but it is cheap when mixing up a gallon or two. And if you want to use a detergent why not?
    One year I used big jugs of cheap laundry detergent from Family Dollar. Smelled nice.

4. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats exactly what we do, 3 way, backpack w/ triclopyr and spot spray w/ it.

Thinking about tank mixing tzone next year for fall apps, but thats a hefty $$$

5. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Great way to get rid of a wide variety of weeds. The colder it gets the slower you will see results but works.

6. OP
    OP
    Tosa Ken

Tosa Ken LawnSite Member

Just looked up straight Triclopyr at my dealer and....$124/ gallon.

The only real violets and charlie I'm seeing are on new customers lawns. I still have a bit of Momentum left over. Maybe enough for half a tank (100g). I'm guessing I'll use that up on the first year customers and those who haven't had anything done to their lawns (ever) and use the three way on everybody else. I mean, if there aren't any "hard to control weeds" present three way should be fine for keeping the dandys at bay next spring...right?

Thanks.

7. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

3way will kill your dandy's. Doesn't take much to kill em.

8. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Shop around, you can get a better price

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I live in east central Wisconsin and have been doing this for 12 years. I have used a straight amine 3-way all those years except for one when I used an ester 3-way. The difference between the two the next spring was really not noticeable. The least inexpensive 3-way I have found is from Quali-Pro but I buy multiple 30 gallon drums of it. Use Momentum or Escalade 2 for your late spring or summer weed control. Do not, do not, do not spot treat in the fall, blanket app wall to wall with a 3-way and you will be fine. Herbicides are cheap when compared to fertilizer. What do you get for spraying an acre of lawn?

10. lawndude28

lawndude28 LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco four score, around .5 a k to run.