Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This fall I want to core aerate, overseed and then add a top dressing of mushroom compost. At the current time I can add a weed & feed fertilizer then wait 6 weeks to aerate. I have minimal weeds in my yard, spot spraying would not be a big issue. Or I could add a good fertilizer without weed control, do some spot spraying and at the end of September aerate/over seed and top dress. Any opinions on which is the best way to go?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Summer's almost over. Forget about weed and feed at this point....get them in the spring if it's not bad now.

Aerate and slit-seed rather than overseed now. You waste up to 50% of your seed by overseeding. By the time mid october gets here, the new grass will healthy enough to limit attrition over the winter.

Cap

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Summer's almost over. Forget about weed and feed at this point....get them in the spring if it's not bad now.

Aerate and slit-seed rather than overseed now. You waste up to 50% of your seed by overseeding. By the time mid october gets here, the new grass will healthy enough to limit attrition over the winter.

Cap
It is interesting the varying opinions on growing grass. I contacted a local lawn care service regarding the core aeration. His opinion was it was to early to aerate and over seed. As he stated this I remembered that I reseeded the yard on Labor Day weekend of last year. I was able to mow the yard 3 times prior to the end of the season.

I would have to rent a slit seeder($99.00), that cost of new seed is far less.
With the addition of top dressing the wasted amount of seed would be much less?

What is a reasonable price for core aeration, 1/3 acre with a ranch home on the lot?

What about spot spraying the weeds prior to aeration and over seeding?

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's true that overseeding is cheaper, even if you account for the seed that won't make it to the dirt, but the objective is a full, even lawn which slit seeding can offer more consistently than overseeding, especially if you have different percentages of grass types.

As for Aeration, it will differ wildly based on obstructions, yard dimensions, and the crew. Get several estimates. prbably cheaper to rent one from Home Depot and do it your self.....

Cap

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's true that overseeding is cheaper, even if you account for the seed that won't make it to the dirt, but the objective is a full, even lawn which slit seeding can offer more consistently than overseeding, especially if you have different percentages of grass types.

As for Aeration, it will differ wildly based on obstructions, yard dimensions, and the crew. Get several estimates. prbably cheaper to rent one from Home Depot and do it your self.....

Cap
Last night I rented a core aerator ( Bluebird TA10 )to pull behind my JD X300. The cost was $78.00 delivery and pickup.

The cost to rent a slit seeder( plus delivery) for 4 hours will be $135.00. For $138.00 I can get 5 yards of mushroom compost delivered? The need for a fertilizer will also have to be added into the cost. The compost will be more work, :weightlifter:, but have extended benefits.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.