Farmer sprayed my garden and yard, what would you do?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rippinryno, May 30, 2017.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Killed my sprouts and beans. I saw him spraying on Sunday it was a steady 20mph wind, he blasted the yard and the entire house and lot wreaked. I'm guessing this was 2-4d or something not roundup. So far the grass doesn't look dead so i'm thinking broadleaf? I don't know much about chems, but I do know this is uncalled for.

Anybody have any suggestions, my garden is not outstanding by any means, but that is not the point. I will attach pictures from 2 days later of the leaves on my peaces, cucumber sprouts, and even my corn got killed off.

20170530_173317.jpg

20170530_162815.jpg

20170530_173314.jpg

20170530_173325.jpg

2. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Silver Member

Friendly yet firm confrontation

3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I fired Scotts long ago because they sprayed in high winds and did a complete kill on my vegetable garden. I know this is your neighbor but Ivwould be furious. He obviously doesn't give a hoot (assuming he isn't totally stupid).

rlitman and hort101 like this.
  4. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

If that guy was spraying in a steady 20 MPH wind and you have drift damage, then the liability is 100% on him. Spraying in the wind is highly illegal. Causing drift damage is frowned upon, big time. You can demand and get restitution. I would have no problem getting the state involved.

This is the kind of thing that farmers do that causes landscapers and golf course operators to look bad in the public eye when in fact farmers are responsible for 85% percent of pesticide violations. (at least in NC)

5. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Contact your dept of agricultural or state plant board. They will take care of it. The farmer will have to pony up money to cover what he killed.

kemco and GrassManKzoo like this.
  6. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Fanatic

What the farmer did was irresponsible, inexcusable and illegal. Report him ASAP!

Cam15, Marine03112, dKoester and 2 others like this.
  7. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Exactly why I stopped spraying today... 12mph winds... I ain't paying for peoples plants!

8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Think carefully about this. Find an expert extension agent or "crop consultant" --even if you have to pay him. Corn is not damaged by 2,4-D. He will know how to differentiate what spray was used. White spots are not a symptom of 2,4-D. If it was herbicide, the clover next to your peas or beans would have been killed. 2,4-D affects the newest part of the top part of the plant first. The area of most rapid growth.

9. Turf Kare

Turf Kare LawnSite Senior Member

Where are you located?

10. OP
    OP
    rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Illinois. Also farmer doesn't spray, the Chen company he hired does