1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Fastrak IZT

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by up2snuf99, Jan 29, 2004.

1. up2snuf99

up2snuf99 LawnSite Member

I've about decided on a Hustler Fastrak for my 1 acre with steep slopes that I mow every 3 days during growing season. I'm impressed with the size and construction of this Z however, I'm hung up on the IZTs since I see better drive systems on some less expensive Zs.

I called Hustler customer service and was told that the Hydro-Gear IZTs changed around March 2003 and that they now come with a "charge pump" which makes them better then before. What is a charge pump and how much does this help the IZTs?

I've been advised that "oh, you'll probably never wear out those IZTs" but I'm kinda picky when I spend this much money and don't see why I need to settle for a component that's not up to the same level as the other parts of the Fastrak. Maybe I'm too picky :confused:

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

First, I am sorry for the delay in posting a response, I am playing catch up from being out of my office for a while.
    The FasTrak in you situation is not going to be your best choice, your best bet would be a unit with separate pumps and wheel motors.
    Steep slopes are where a pump and wheel motor combo will beat out a IZT system, the added pressure and heat from operating on steep slopes will shorten the life of the IZT system, with the weight of FasTrak and you as a operator.
    I would consider a Hustler Mini Z, this unit is the big brother to the FasTrak, very similar design but with pumps and wheel motors.
    The 19 / 52 has a MSRP of $7295.00, and I am sure your dealer can give you a better sale price.

Hope this helps

Pj

3. up2snuf99

up2snuf99 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. This confirms what I thought but was confused by the dealer assuring me that it would handle the slopes. He even demo'ed the Fastrak on a slope and the IZTs were whinning very loud.

I don't think I will pay the extra for the Lazer ct but it is certainly a nice, well designed unit. I for one, would rather pay the extra and have a Fastrak with a decent hydro system.

Thanks.........