Fastrak SD first oil change

mowerconsultant

LawnSite Fanatic
I would not switch to synthetic in the engine until the engine has had the time to break in, about the 50 hour mark.
Until then change the oil and filter, use a good quality name brand dino oil.

Pj

OP
Yarddog73

Yarddog73

LawnSite Member
I would not switch to synthetic in the engine until the engine has had the time to break in, about the 50 hour mark.
Until then change the oil and filter, use a good quality name brand dino oil.

Pj
Just want to be sure because the Hustler owners manual says change the oil at the 50hr mark.
The Honda manual states that the oil should be changed at 20hrs.
Honda manual also states ,,SAE 10W-30 or 5W-30 is recommended for general use. Then it says use a full synthetic 5W-30 for starting/operating temperatures between 5*F (-15*C) and -13*C (-25*C).
Then the Honda manual shows a graph where synthetic 5W-30 can be used from -13*F to 105*F.
The Hustler service manual says the first oil change should be done at 5 hrs.

Now I am totally confused because you are telling me something entirely diffrent than the manuals state. What should I do???

Thanks

rwreuter

LawnSite Member
let's try this again......

don't see why someone deleted my post..................NOT NICE

that is a good question....i am curious myself.

mowerconsultant

LawnSite Fanatic
Just want to be sure because the Hustler owners manual says change the oil at the 50hr mark.
The Honda manual states that the oil should be changed at 20hrs.
Honda manual also states ,,SAE 10W-30 or 5W-30 is recommended for general use. Then it says use a full synthetic 5W-30 for starting/operating temperatures between 5*F (-15*C) and -13*C (-25*C).
Then the Honda manual shows a graph where synthetic 5W-30 can be used from -13*F to 105*F.
The Hustler service manual says the first oil change should be done at 5 hrs.

Now I am totally confused because you are telling me something entirely diffrent than the manuals state. What should I do???

Thanks
Go with the Hustler manual.
I am old school with synthetics and would not change to synthetic oil in the engine until it has had a time to seat the rings to the cylinder with std dino oil, a good rule of thumb is usually 50 hours.

Pj

OP
Yarddog73

Yarddog73

LawnSite Member
Go with the Hustler manual.
I am old school with synthetics and would not change to synthetic oil in the engine until it has had a time to seat the rings to the cylinder with std dino oil, a good rule of thumb is usually 50 hours.

Pj
So since I am at 5hrs on the mower should I change the oil? The manual states to change it. I called the dealer and they say wait til 15 to 20 hrs??
what should I do?

OP
Yarddog73

Yarddog73

LawnSite Member
Change the oil with dino oil.

Pj
Talked with Honda. The Honda GXV engines are ran at the factory. The Honda rep I spoke with says you are not breaking the engine in. That is done at the factory. He says it is ok to go with synthetic oil at the 5hr mark.

I would assume I should go with what Honda says since they are the ones that warranty the engine. If I am wrong please tell me.

Does Hustler warranty the engine or Honda?