Lawn Care Forum banner

Father Daughter Lawn Care.

107K views 243 replies 70 participants last post by  Father&Daughter Lawn care 
#1 ·
Just a guy who has worked in the LC business for 10 years. I worked for a small company about 45 accounts for 9 yrs. This year I left and sought work elsewhere. In doing so I opted to start my own company. I have about 20 accounts. The joy is I allow my daughter to work with me. She is 10 yrs old. It gives us time together and teaches her about what a work ethic is. Her job is to pick up the yard of debris and than do the final clean up such as blowing off the sidewalk, curbs and drives. She get between $5 and $10 dollars per cut. I would like to think that we could continue to do this until she is old enough to take it over. So far so good.

#2 ·
Wow, your post takes me back. This is how I started too, with my Daughters, and now the oldest runs the high area accounts, while the youngest runs the mow'n go service. My Middle daughter helps with the pavement sealing & Line Striping. Was soooooooo many years ago they were picking up litter, just as you described. Enjoy the time together, it flys by :)

#3 ·
Nice --I have four daughters and I bought my oldest (13) a riding lawn mower from home depot (she picked it out) and she mows a few lawns that are really flat and easy on the eyes(no stripping) No way is she ready for the W/B or zero turn. She just straped on a blower last week and helped me with fall cleanups. Seems to like it, I hope anyways...good luck with your daughter and hope all goes well for you.:waving:

#4 ·
Thats an awesome way to keep kids off the streets, and out of trouble. Plus it gives them an appreciation and value of money. Keep up the great work.

#7 ·
I think its great , I started out the same way with my 2 boys 7 years ago and now we have a very well established full service company , doing everything from lawn service res and comm to final grades on new construction houses , and we are growing every year and expanding our services as we go and grow , take care and God Bless ya ...

#10 ·
This is a neat thread. I have two girls-2 and 6. Like everyone out there, we were shooting for a boy the second time around but it didn't happen. I grew up doing this and envisioned having a son to take over the business one day. I've always been big and strong and a "work horse" in the family and was always told by my father that you can't expect girls to do what I did. So, here I am with two beautiful girls that I wouldn't trade for all the boys in the world. Who knows, I may be where you guys are one day. It's refreshing to know that girls can do these kind of things:clapping::clapping:

#12 ·
girls and boys can do the same work and girls some times do it better me and my husbend own our own landscapeing company and he has a son from his first wife and i have raised my two sisters they all three help us and the two year olds some times do better then the five year old and some times onya(sister) does better then coy(son) and then when the job is done they get payed with icecream and when ever we go to the gardens coy will go up to a plant and take the flower in to his and a smell it then he will gently let it go we hope that one day that they will take over but you never know it may just be for now but they love spending all the time in the world with us and it is nice because it teaches them money and they learn how to save up for what they want like my oldest sister wants to get a truck and lawn mower so we told her she has to save and get it her self and she has a big smile every time she puts her money in that jar and ever day she takes out and counts and askes daddy how much more we told her the mowwer is hers but the truck she has to wait till she can drive

#13 ·
I prefer my kids to do something that I didn't do -enjoy childhood. I grew up on a farm and was pressed into labor at the ripe old age of 7 or 8. The only thing I do remember of my childhood is WORK. Never hanging with friends, going places, etc.

Let the kids be kids. When they are 14 or so then it's OK.

#14 ·
My daughter and I have an understanding, when it is time to work if she has something else to do with friends that comes first. She sometimes chooses to go with me even though she would rather do something else. She has learned the value of work and the pride of earning money.

She is only 10 and her youth comes first. She has decided sometimes to work instead of play. Not to shabby for a 10 yr old.

Thanks for all the great replies.

#15 ·
My daughter and I have an understanding, when it is time to work if she has something else to do with friends that comes first. She sometimes chooses to go with me even though she would rather do something else. She has learned the value of work and the pride of earning money.

She is only 10 and her youth comes first. She has decided sometimes to work instead of play. Not to shabby for a 10 yr old.

I commend you for having your priorities straight. They're only young once-They'll have the rest of their life to work.:)

#16 ·

I was just relating to my experience, not trying to tell anyone how to raise their kids. Sounds like you've got a handle on it and are doing it right.:waving:

#19 ·
You are in a special business to share with your kids, especially if you're lucky enough to have them work with you. I actually got my dad involved in the industry when he went to work for me back in 1983. He got bit by the bug and has been involved in the industry ever since. He worked for me for a few years and moved a few hundred miles away. He started his own landscape maintenance business and really grew a special operation - small, but special. I'll never forget visiting him one weekend and after dinner, he started driving me around his residential accounts. While shinning his headlights onto the properties, he would describe what he did and how he did it. The sense of pride just came pouring out. It had a profound effect on the way I saw my business after that and really made me appreciate that I am allowed to "create" things every day - even if only doing routine maintenance tasks.

If your kids get an opportunity to appreciate that, even at their early age, it will make an impact on their lives forever. For me, though it was always under my nose, it took my dad to make me understand what I was a part of. I just wanted to let you know that you have a special opportunity at these special ages. I was fortunate enough to share it with my 3 boys and I know you're in for a great time!

Enjoy it!

Tommy

#21 ·

I admire people like you.

#23 ·
This is funny. I just talked to my 9 yr old the other day and said when I start to get busy I am going to need a really good helper and right away he said Dad I would be the best helper there is. That was so cool to hear that. Then we talked about salary now this was funny. I told him jocking of coarse well I think I might be able to pay you $ 5.00 a day only if you are the best helper around. Then we started talking about what he could do to help me. This is the cool stuff in life. Oh ya its been about a week since we talked about it and he already asked for a raise LOL love it.

#26 ·
This is a neat thread. I have two girls-2 and 6. Like everyone out there, we were shooting for a boy the second time around but it didn't happen. I grew up doing this and envisioned having a son to take over the business one day. I've always been big and strong and a "work horse" in the family and was always told by my father that you can't expect girls to do what I did. So, here I am with two beautiful girls that I wouldn't trade for all the boys in the world. Who knows, I may be where you guys are one day. It's refreshing to know that girls can do these kind of things:clapping::clapping:
Shift your thoughts to a future son in law. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.