Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I have always used Eagle Safety cans. The ones with the spring loaded top and wire mesh inside the opening. My Father bought me 2 (5gal and 2.5 gal) back in 1984. Still use them every day. This year I bought a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon Justrite UNO can. The only thing I don't like is the flow. On the 5 gallon can I have a 1" flex hose and it takes about 2 minutes to empty :rolleyes: Seems like your there forever pouring! The 3 gallon I use for my 2 cycle gas and it has the small 5/8" flex hose. It is perfect. When you see your small tanks filling up, just let go of the trigger handle.....Gas Flow stops!

By the way they are built, I can see getting a lifetime of use out of these as well as my old Eagles.

Here is a pic of the new UNO cans I have the big 5 Gal one and the 3 gallon is just a bit taller than the small one shown here.

My old Eagles aren't made in Red anymore, they're only available unpainted. Mine are exactly like this but a bit older with a faded red color. I use the removable yellow spout and just pour right in the mowers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Here is my refueling rig. I got the wagon $76 & fuel filter $25 at TSC, the tank, pump, hose I bought from a friend for $75 (I helped him with some landscaping work and he cut me mucho slack on the price) The tank holds 55 gallons I get the off road diesel which cost me 95 cents a gallon. I believe the same can be done with gasoline. I use my tractor on my farm so it is cost effective for me.

Wheel Tire Window Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
They claim 10lbs on their site, or was that the Justrite UNO ones, I cant remember. Is there a weight issue or something? They aren't heavy till you have 5 gallons of fuel in them really!

Hey if they can last almost 20 years, no rust, no dents, no leaks.....Haven't done a thing to them other than fill them up and empty them out!

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I guess they are pretty easy to pour. These two types of cans pictured above are about all I ever used. Like I said, the UNO's are VERY slow pouring, as the filler neck is also the pouring control valve. There is a slide valve in the neck that pulls back with the small handle when you squeeze it. It has a rather small opening into the flex spout.

The Eagles pour quick and easy with the yellow spout funnel attachment.

Am I the only person using SAFETY cans???

·
Registered
326 Posts
Originally posted by Mowing Freak
Those gas cans are sold in the Ace hardware store in my area under the name of Briggs and Stratton. They seem to be the same price as the blitz crap.
I found that out last year but as Mowing Freak said the same design is now sold as a Briggs & Stratton brand at Ace Hardware but I get them at my mower repair shop that services Kohlers.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have always used the safety cans. I was always told that it was the law around here or maybe its a OSHA requirement something along those lines.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I used the Rubbermaid ones for years until I could not find them anymore. I actually found a stash of three or four I had hidden away though :) The flex pouring tubes have just about all fallen apart now. I have also been using the Chilton for about 2 years. I like the P20 they make, it's easy to handle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You will not believe this but the Chilton P50 is no longer available, called the company.
Go figure, I’ve got one that is probably 10 years old. Glad I bought 4 last year.
Too bad this can is (was) like the Gott with the large bottom, would not tip over in a hurricane.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also have found the old rubbermaid containers sold with a Briggs and Stratton name on them. I bought two 5 gal. about two months ago at the local small engine parts shop. They are also an authorized Kohler parts dealer (thought there might be a connection since someone else had mentioned that).

·
Registered
476 Posts
I also have found the old rubbermaid containers sold with a Briggs and Stratton name on them. I bought two 5 gal. about two months ago at the local small engine parts shop. They are also an authorized Kohler parts dealer (thought there might be a connection since someone else had mentioned that).

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
I didn't think plastic gas containers were "LEGAL" to transport over the road?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.