• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Favorite Trimmer Line??

jiggz

LawnSite Senior Member
I stick with the good ole round stuff.. Always liked the way the Stihl 095 felt, guess cause that's what i learned trimming with..tried the Echo CrossFire stuff and hated it, didnt last long, and felt kinda light, didnt edge as nice, plus it gave a stupid sound heh..last season i got some nice red stuff but i lost the label and dont remember the name..

anybody try the Sthil Quite Line* with the grooves in it? what do you guys really like using??..kinda makes me sound like a snob, but maaan i hate running shitty string

LALawnboy

LawnSite Senior Member
I used Echo Crossfire for years. Last year I picked up some Gator Square Magnum Line and that's all I use now.

Had Echo stayed with the company that always had produced their trimmer line, I may not have switched. The new Echo stuff is crap compared to the original.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G

Inactive
Hmmm..I've been using Echo Crossfire for years myself. Cut's well, doesn't fracture easily or fray much. I haven't noticed a difference in quality yet.

Hawg City Lawns

LawnSite Bronze Member
i used echo crossfire and that husqvarna line last year wasnt too crazy about either one toward the end of the season one of my customers gave me a little spool of super twist magnum gatorline he had in his shed and told me he wouldnt be needing it anymore and if i could use it feel free to take so i used and im pretty sure ill stick with that stuff its really tough im gonna try soaking it in water heard that helps with strength

Thunderhead

LawnSite Senior Member
I heard that the "twisted" RedMax line was real good. But I'm not sure because I've personally never used it. I do plan on trying it though.

K/B

LawnSite Senior Member
I used Echo Crossfire for years. Last year I picked up some Gator Square Magnum Line and that's all I use now.

Had Echo stayed with the company that always had produced their trimmer line, I may not have switched. The new Echo stuff is crap compared to the original.
Posted via Mobile Device
FYI
Echo recently switched back to the previous supplier because of the poor quality line they received from the new supplier.

TGM

LawnSite Senior Member
i hate the regular cheap round stuff that my old boss used to get at jthomas...junk.

i used to use the square stuff you get at home depot since it was stronger and cut really good.

however, i now use the twisted red max trimmer line. it's the strongest and most quiet line i've ever used. it might cost a little more, but i've only had the line break twice over last year from overheating/too much pressure (i edge all of the landscape beds every mowing). ..so, little down time. you get what you pay for and that's all i'd recommend now. i'm sure some of the other suppliers like shindaiwa makes something similar

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
we use shakespeare ultra twist and really like it. i is over sized as far as the numbers go and you can easitly use a 120 line where you would normally use a 095. the cut and lack of drag are great, but not the strongest fro fences. that is why we dicided to get bigger line this year(was using the 095, now we have 120) as it should remedy the problem. it was really skinny for being rated a 095

LALawnboy

LawnSite Senior Member
FYI
Echo recently switched back to the previous supplier because of the poor quality line they received from the new supplier.
That's definitely good to hear. When I finish up my spools of Gator Line, I may have to venture back to Crossfire. The original Crossfire was very durable and didn't seem to fray as badly as the new stuff. I'm glad Echo realized it was a bad decision to change their supplier. Thanks for the info.