FC420V Engine Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Joel0328, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Joel0328

Joel0328 LawnSite Member

Recently I blew up a FC420V on my 48 inch scag walk behind mower. I read an article (http://progreengrass.com/repower-your-scag-exmark-toro-lesco-walk-behind-mower-with-a-new-engine/) that suggest that a Briggs and Stratton 31R976-0016-G1 17.5 GHP Vertical Shaft Engine 1x3-5/32 Crank would work. I was wondering if anyone on this forum would have a little more input then me and would maybe be able to help me figure out if this engine would work to replace the old FC420V since Kawasaki doesn’t make that engine anymore. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joel

2. Walker56

Walker56 LawnSite Fanatic

hort101 likes this.
  3. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I have the same engine in my Toro Proline. Go to Jacks Small Engines web site and click on the engine tab and from there you search engines with that crank size. Briggs and Stratton has a couple choices under a grand and you can also find a Kawi with electric start, you have to buy the muffler separately and that setup is gonna run 1400 bucks.

Walker56, zlandman and hort101 like this.
  4. tigerepairdotcom

tigerepairdotcom LawnSite Senior Member

Do not forget looking at good used engines on Craigslist and Small engine warehouse dot com.