Feather meal fertilizer will not though drop sparder

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by nhoj, Dec 28, 2016.

1. nhoj

nhoj LawnSite Member

Can someone help me out here, how to get feather meal to go though drop spreader?

Should I use rotary spreader to use with feather meal?
    I have 5 bags to put on my lawn.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

Send some to me , hard to comment on something you can't see. Seriously ,ask up in thw organic forum, most of the lawn jockeys have never seen organic fert let alone thrown it.

3. nhoj

nhoj LawnSite Member

I
    I would be glad to send you some, do you have a address to send it to? This way you will be able to see it first hand and know what it looks like instead of sending a picture.
    Thank-You
    John

4. EarthWayJK

EarthWayJK Sponsor
    from Laurel

nhoj,
    From what I can see on the internet, feather meal is a "powder type" material and a rotary spreader shouldn't be used. I would suggest that you use a drop spreader.
    Jeff

5. nhoj

nhoj LawnSite Member

Jeff This is what I use a Drop Spreader and it will not go though it. Any suggestions other then a drop spreader?

6. EarthWayJK

EarthWayJK Sponsor
    from Laurel

I guess it's bridging?

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nhoj, its rare, but perhaps your supplier is at fault. He is supposed to cook and liquify the chicken feathers, extract the protein and form dry pellets first. Low analysis and very slow release. Cheaper at the source, but the feathers are too light to spread well.
    Go with an Earthway rotary. Open it up to "Z". Should work. If you have a powder, the product is not likely to cause a burn if you overlap a bit. Better yet, get the Earthway Series-80 with the interchangeable trays--use the big hole or the huge-hole tray. You can spread fert, salt, corn gluten meal, guano, Pennmulch--macaroni, if you want.
    Think about a pelletized chicken manure product. Faster acting and has lots of calcium and micronutrients.
    You apply about 4 pounds per thousand. Higher analysis means there are less bags to handle.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa205

8. EarthWayJK

EarthWayJK Sponsor
    from Laurel

Nhoj,
    I agree - the F80H model would be the one to go with - "H" model includes the High-Output tray. Here is a youtube video on the F80H
    Jeff

9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Jersey

You might want to put a small amount in hopper to keep the weight from compacting it. And you can call the manufacturer/distributor of the product and ask them. Did you read the entire label? Are there instructions on application? Did this get wet from water or humidity, that could cause it to bind together?

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

One more hint.
    Wax the interior of the hopper with car wax, use a lot. Rain-X or silicone lubricant is also a possibility. Cooking spray? Teflon? See my experiments from a year ago.

There is a special kind of plastic used for surfaces that need to be slippery, or where lumber needs to slide across sawmill tables. ULDPE. Ultra high density polyethylene. Same stuff used for childrens' roll-up sleds--also for slideing saucers, also skis, also plastic snow shovels and plows.