Features on Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by studentlawn, Jul 9, 2003.

1. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

Can someone outline the benefits of different features on various walk behind mowers. Im looking to buy my first one and I hear floating deck vs fixed deck, hydro vs. belt? But what do they do? Also what major features differ from brand to brand or style that would eaither help or hinder my choice?

2. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

3. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

4. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Lawnstudent, We could all chime in with our own opinions why our own mowers are better than anyone else's.
    I think you should take a day and go kickin tires. Look, feel, touch, demo, and most of all, ask all the questions and you will get some answers.

Floating deck has the advantage on hilly or unlevel terrain. For flatter terrain the fixed deck will be ok.

Hydro drive is very low maintenance and highly durable drive system. It can be a little costly starting out but IMO its worth the extra $$. It will out perform a belt drive on hilly terrain and in wet conditions.

I think you should look what fits your budget. If you have the accounts to back up a top line mower with all the bells and whistles then buy just that. If not, Start low and grow slow.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Do search as suggested, plus, any dealers, anywhere near you? Go to each and get some sales brochures on what they have to offer. They detail out their 'bells & whistles' nicely. This will also give you a chance for some hands on, maybe even a demo.

DO NOT buy the first one you look at.

This the same studentlawns that had the thread about advertising a while back? How you guys doing, haven't heard much from you lately.

6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Look for Floating DEEP Deck's, 200LB Clutches, East Control's.
    John

7. studentlawn

studentlawn LawnSite Member

Yup, thats us, were doing well. Still trucking along on our 21'. We finally got our loan money together, and are in the process of purchasing equipment. So far we picked up a used 99 toro z that has a 25 hp kholer with only 300 hrs on it, and came with 48" and 60" decks. Probably going to get a 32" exmark metro, standard machine. We also picked out our 20 ft haulmark enclosed today to. So things are on their way. Marketing wise, we settled on a 10,000 piece direct mail campaign. a 4 week ad in a local paper, wich has sub divisions in every part of the minneapolis area, so itll get out everywhere we choose. Things are looking on the up and up, we may even be able to fund a 2nd crew, I can't wait to be making money off other peoples work.