1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Feeling the pinch already

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JNyz, Apr 14, 2008.

1. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

I started maintaining this rehab center for eating disorders ten years ago when the old man that was doing it, mower broke down in the rear of the main building. I kind of knew the lady in charge of maintenance when she gave me a call to do a one time cut. It worked out that the old man decided to retire, I got the job and the old man was being way overpaid for the work. I got it for the same price, 600 bucks, it took him all day, my crew only 3 hours. After the first year they built 800k homes within walking distance of the job. I wanted the work because I knew it could turn out to be great Wednesday's for thirty weeks. I went in a little low so I would get the mowing jobs. Well I got the ones I wanted and turned Wednesdays into 1400 days with a three man crew. Great work for ten years. Got the call, they are going to try to do it in house and try to save some of the 18k. Now I have over ten homes under priced. Wow you learn a new lesson every day.

2. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

Ya but u got 10 years of good solid work and income. Bump the other homes up a little, or look for other work to replace them. I know thats easer said then done. The rehab center might call ya back after they look at buying a mower and other costs involved, or after a yr or 2 of doing it inhouse.