1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fencing installation, lots of rock and ledge?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by devmaster, Sep 24, 2010.

1. devmaster

devmaster LawnSite Member

what is the easyest way to drill through stone or ledge (solid rock) for a fence posts?

i am going to price a fencing job but i know most likely im going to hit rock and ledge, what is the the best way of doing this? what type of machine would an auger with a stone bit work or a an auger on a bobcat witha stone bit, or any other suggestions. what can be rented (not worried about cost to much). i was thinking a jack hammer of some type but how much work would that be and would it work for 2-3 feet? i have to to 50-60 2-3ft holes about 10" x10" each. thanks for your help!!!

2. P.L.

P.L. LawnSite Member
    from USA

How about digging as far as you can and using concrete. It may save a lot of time.

3. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

Nobody can help you if we don't know what kind of fence is going in.

A chain link fence has round steel posts, a wood fence has either 4x4 or 6x6 square wood posts, vinyl is another story, T-Bar posts or 3-4" or 4-5" round posts for a farm fence or barbed wire fence again is something else and a different way of doing it.

Height and wind load is another story

The easiest way?
    Rock drills or pneumatic jack hammers, not electric.

Mick