Ferris FW15 Blades

Splintman

LawnSite Member
I have been looking for the 'gator' type blades for my FW15 and have had no luck. I'm not interested in true mulching blades, just want some with teeth on the trailing edge to help shred leaves this fall. I've tried Oregon Gator Blades, Fisher Barton Eliminators and Ballard Rippers and none of the those make them for the FW15. If anyone has any idea where I might find a pair, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Splintman

Welcome to the club. There are a few threads in sections "Lawn Mowing" and Lawn Mowing Equipment you posted in pertaining to the FW15/SW15 very recently. Take a swing through those threads.

Glad I was not the only one getting in touch with the blade manufacturers about this problem.(hint-there are roughly 10 different blade manufacturers in the US.)

As it stands at this moment in time, there are no aftermarket blades that we know of, yet, for the Ferris or Snapper FW15/SW15.

Hurryupelectric

LawnSite Silver Member
@Splintman

Welcome to the club. There are a few threads in sections "Lawn Mowing" and Lawn Mowing Equipment you posted in pertaining to the FW15/SW15 very recently. Take a swing through those threads.

Glad I was not the only one getting in touch with the blade manufacturers about this problem.(hint-there are roughly 10 different blade manufacturers in the US.)

As it stands at this moment in time, there are no aftermarket blades that we know of, yet, for the Ferris or Snapper FW15/SW15.
There’s a mulch kit isn’t there, full baffles? What blades are people using with that?

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
Thanks to all who replied so quickly! I live on an acre and my backyard slopes down to a creek, one section is about a 40 degree slope and this is about the only mower that can work on a side slope that steep. I'm very happy with this machine. I'm surprised that there's not several companies making blades for it, from what I understand Ferris is selling them as fast as they can crank 'em out. Just yesterday I attached a Qwikchute chute blocker and will try it out when I get home from work today.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Splintman

My best guess as to why no aftermarket blade maker has induldged us with different blades is because they wait to see if Ferris/Snapper sells enough units of a certain model before they will throw money at manufacturing a completely new set of blades. It costs alot to set up the process to make one or multiple designs for a single model mower.

Bam, then the "pandemic hits" and these companies, after seeing a years worth of sales of the FW/SW15's(which were great) will not risk the capitol expenditure to R&D a new set of designs to make a new type of blade for a new machine. Especially during uncertain economic times.

I offered to ante up the dough to a few manufacturers to make it happen. Each told me that it is possible, but then you have a myriad of other issues that come from private investment in a private company. They politely declined the offer.
Oh well. I tried. "It's just business".

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Splintman

Here is a big thread for you to check out. Upto date.

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I've reached out to Oregon several times for some G5s or even G3s/3in1, but nothing yet.

When kept sharp, I find the wavy mulchers that come w/ the mulch kit to work well...though, they're not the best for taking on a LOT of leaves, but will still get the job done.

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
I have been looking for the 'gator' type blades for my FW15 and have had no luck. I'm not interested in true mulching blades, just want some with teeth on the trailing edge to help shred leaves this fall. I've tried Oregon Gator Blades, Fisher Barton Eliminators and Ballard Rippers and none of the those make them for the FW15. If anyone has any idea where I might find a pair, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
For anyone looking for these blades, I emailed several blade manufacturers and Ballard responded that the tech I talked to a week ago was mistaken and he sent me a link I'll share: https://www.ballard-inc.com/product/mower-blades-2-8-1625-2pack/ I bought a pair of the 'Rippers' and 'High Lifts'. The photos are of standard blades, but in the email I was assured the shaft hole would be correct and the timing holes would present.
Hope this might help anyone who was in the same boat.

Top Forums