Ferris FW15 Blades

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Splintman

Are you sure? The web page you linked is absolutely devoid of anything to do with timing holes. Or anything specifically pointing towards the use on a FW/SW15. They do have a warning and liability statement on the page, as they should.

Will you please let us know when you get them? Take some pictures. Tell us if they fit?

The jury is out until we know for certain this is a factual aftermarket blade specifically for the FW/SW15. I will hold off judegment and contact of Ballard until otherwise given a reason.

I hope and pray this is trustworthy. We as end users really need some different functioning and style blades for this machine.

Thanks for your time and effort Splintman!

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
@Splintman

Are you sure? The web page you linked is absolutely devoid of anything to do with timing holes. Or anything specifically pointing towards the use on a FW/SW15. They do have a warning and liability statement on the page, as they should.

Will you please let us know when you get them? Take some pictures. Tell us if they fit?

The jury is out until we know for certain this is a factual aftermarket blade specifically for the FW/SW15. I will hold off judegment and contact of Ballard until otherwise given a reason.

I hope and pray this is trustworthy. We as end users really need some different functioning and style blades for this machine.

Thanks for your time and effort Splintman!
You are correct, Sage, as noted in my last post the pictures in the link are stock photos of blades with single holes. But I was assured they are 16 & 1/4 X 2 & 1/2 and the center hole is 5/8" AND there's 2 guide (timing) holes. The email also said they were specifically designed for the FW15. I should receive them later this week or the first part of next week. and I will post w/pics.

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
There’s a mulch kit isn’t there, full baffles? What blades are people using with that?
Ferris makes a mulching kit for the FW15, comes with mulching blades, full baffles and a chute blocker. Very mixed reviews. I'm on a little over an acre and my backyard slopes down to a creek, in one area about 40 degrees, I mow once a week or so and with a mulcher I'd have to mow about twice a week- while I appreciate the exercise, at my age (63), this ain't happinin'.

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Thank you for your efforts to help out this whole community
@Splintman.

If Ballard truely stepped up with multiple styles of blades for this machine, and they improve over the original Ferris/Snapper/Briggs blades, I hope they(Ballard) hit a mini goldmine with it. Ballard deserves it for being the first to market for after-market blades concerning the FW/SW15 if this works out well.

On your second note, the mulching kit and blades from the Original Manufacturer do an acceptable job. Can it be improved? Absolutely! Got to start with the blades.

Like I have stated before, It seems like the FW/SW15 was engineered to predominantly be an open chute throw that grass far type of machine. We love them for that. We use them everyday to side discharge and are pleased with the outcome.

If Ballard gets us three, possibly (4?) styles of blades for this mower, I am going to have a grand ole time testing them all and figuring/reconfiguring the mower set up to get the best possible usage from the mower.

Right now fingers are crossed hoping this is the start of a new chapter to open with the FW/SW15's.

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
Thank you for your efforts to help out this whole community
@Splintman.

If Ballard truely stepped up with multiple styles of blades for this machine, and they improve over the original Ferris/Snapper/Briggs blades, I hope they(Ballard) hit a mini goldmine with it. Ballard deserves it for being the first to market for after-market blades concerning the FW/SW15 if this works out well.

On your second note, the mulching kit and blades from the Original Manufacturer do an acceptable job. Can it be improved? Absolutely! Got to start with the blades.

Like I have stated before, It seems like the FW/SW15 was engineered to predominantly be an open chute throw that grass far type of machine. We love them for that. We use them everyday to side discharge and are pleased with the outcome.

If Ballard gets us three, possibly (4?) styles of blades for this mower, I am going to have a grand ole time testing them all and figuring/reconfiguring the mower set up to get the best possible usage from the mower.

Right now fingers are crossed hoping this is the start of a new chapter to open with the FW/SW15's.
I'd be lying if I told you my fingers weren't crossed crossed too. I'd like to know if their X Blades would work for the 15's and what kind of job they'd do, but I only mow my lawn and the church I attend, I'm not a professional at this. If these blades do work out and you get some to review, I'd love to hear/see how they work out. While the 15's are commercial machines, they're small ones and I'm not convinced they can handle 4 blades, but I love the concept.
There's a youtuber named Handyguy who has an FW15 with the mulching kit and he loves it:
The lawn in this video doesn't seem to tall and it looks like he's leaving a strip of grass on each row, mine does this with the Qwikchute chute blocker down.
I also recently joined the FW15 Owners Group on facebook, a lot of good info there, too. A lot of those folks don't seem to crazy about the mulching kits.

Last edited:

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Yes, HandyGuy 2016 is a decent resource for FW/SW15 owners. Facebook could'nt pay me enough to use their service so that will never happen.

Even with the Honda engines breathing better and more fuel to up the horsepower and rpm, I would definitely not advise putting 4 blades under this machine. The stock blades you can get from Ferris/Snapper/Briggs are stout and heavy enough as it is. It seems like Ballard is touting the blades are somewhat similar to the Marbane blades by Scag, which I feel Briggs/Ferris/Snapper basically sort of copied as well. Really good blades.

Come on Ballard don't let us down!

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
Yes, HandyGuy 2016 is a decent resource for FW/SW15 owners. Facebook could'nt pay me enough to use their service so that will never happen.

Even with the Honda engines breathing better and more fuel to up the horsepower and rpm, I would definitely not advise putting 4 blades under this machine. The stock blades you can get from Ferris/Snapper/Briggs are stout and heavy enough as it is. It seems like Ballard is touting the blades are somewhat similar to the Marbane blades by Scag, which I feel Briggs/Ferris/Snapper basically sort of copied as well. Really good blades.

Come on Ballard don't let us down.
Shipping notice says I'll be getting them tomorrow (Thurs the 2nd) and I'll post about them Sun or Mon.

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
Got the blades today...no timing holes. I emailed the owner of Ballard and let him know, and there was a miscommunication in our emails. Not going into who's right or wrong, but it could be construed either way. I sent him an email outlining what happened, not expecting to hear back 'till tomorrow, he emailed me with concern from his phone. I thanked him for his after hour concern (after 8pm) and told him I'm going to take these 2 pair of blades and my originals to a machine shop and see if they can make them match up. He said to let him know how things work out and I can return them as long as I don't use or alter them, very understandable. Kinda bummed tho, was looking forward to using them. Not going to cry about it though.......WAH!!!!

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Triple sigh....

Well, uh, I am really flustered here. I was contemplating making an order either way, and if they did not have the two timing holes, would absolutely have modified them to work. But really unsure now if there was that much of a miscommunicarion, was Ballard paying attention to your email? Gives me an uneasy feeling possibly dealing with Ballard. Time will tell.

We don't have time to screw around. Leaves are starting to fall here and it is quite early for that to be happening. I would rather be going into next week and the week after chasing a "gold medal", not puttering around and just being satisfied with a "bronze medal".

Again @Splintman, we really appreciate your due dilligence and patience concerning this matter. You have been extremely helpful to everyone on this issue.

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
Triple sigh....

Well, uh, I am really flustered here. I was contemplating making an order either way, and if they did not have the two timing holes, would absolutely have modified them to work. But really unsure now if there was that much of a miscommunicarion, was Ballard paying attention to your email? Gives me an uneasy feeling possibly dealing with Ballard. Time will tell.

We don't have time to screw around. Leaves are starting to fall here and it is quite early for that to be happening. I would rather be going into next week and the week after chasing a "gold medal", not puttering around and just being satisfied with a "bronze medal".

Again @Splintman, we really appreciate your due dilligence and patience concerning this matter. You have been extremely helpful to everyone on this issue.
Thanks for the kind words, Sagesove. I am convinced he wasn't trying to pull a fast one. I've read his response several times and it truly could've been misunderstood with regards to the timing holes, and I certainly did. He (Kory Ballard) asked me in his original email to confirm that my blades had the 2 timing holes, because we already make blades for that mower, and added the link I added in a previous post. Instead of confirming, I just placed the order, he told me that if I had confirmed the timing holes, he would've told me they don't make them. I feel these are great blades, hardened steel to Rockwell 45, so I'm actually paying more for the machine shop to drill them out than I did for the blades...not being able to get the blades I want has now gotten personal.

Top Forums