Ferris FW15 Blades

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Oh dang. That was unexpected by all of us I am sure.

@Valk is correct the center hole is 13/16ths or just over 20.5 mm.

20211025_082849.jpg

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
@Splintman

Any news to report back with the new blade set up?

We are full on mass leaf fall maintenance. No more mulching here till the last mow of the season. Have to bag or blow everything. Then Vac. We did roughly 30,000 pounds of leaves yesterday. On friday we had 40+ mph winds all day and night. And wow did it downpour leaves for Saturday. The city covered in a swamp of leaves. Thank goodness we are in a dry spell at the moment. Much easier on the equipment and us.

Hope to hear from you soon Splintman!

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
@Splintman

Any news to report back with the new blade set up?

We are full on mass leaf fall maintenance. No more mulching here till the last mow of the season. Have to bag or blow everything. Then Vac. We did roughly 30,000 pounds of leaves yesterday. On friday we had 40+ mph winds all day and night. And wow did it downpour leaves for Saturday. The city covered in a swamp of leaves. Thank goodness we are in a dry spell at the moment. Much easier on the equipment and us.

Hope to hear from you soon Splintman!
I did not mow the backyard this last weekend 'cause it was too wet. It hasn't rained here for a week or so, so I'll probably give it a try tomorrow (Tues) if I get off work early enough. No way can I safely mow the backyard if it's not dry, in some places it slopes 40% or so. Here's a couple pics of the front yard mowed with the high lifts. I'll post how the shredder (gator) blades work in a day or two.

Attachments

• Resized_20211105_152523.jpeg
    Resized_20211105_152523.jpeg
    866.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Resized_20211105_152527002 (2).jpg
    Resized_20211105_152527002 (2).jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 20

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the reply! Yard looks pretty good. Should be interesting to see what those new mulching gators can do on your type of leaves.

Question. Did you have leaves on the front yard and you just mowed over them with the chute blocker down while using the high lift blades?

No way can I safely mow the backyard if it's not dry, in some places it slopes 40% or so.

GASP!! That is steep. I am going to pressume you lock the caster wheels doing the hills in your backyard.

We really appreciate you giving us your time to let us buisness owners and other homeowners hear the scoop on how your FW/SW 15 is working out for you. Lets hope those Ballard gators can do some leaf pulverizing! Thanks again @Splintman .

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the reply! Yard looks pretty good. Should be interesting to see what those new mulching gators can do on your type of leaves.

Question. Did you have leaves on the front yard and you just mowed over them with the chute blocker down while using the high lift blades?

GASP!! That is steep. I am going to pressume you lock the caster wheels doing the hills in your backyard.

We really appreciate you giving us your time to let us buisness owners and other homeowners hear the scoop on how your FW/SW 15 is working out for you. Lets hope those Ballard gators can do some leaf pulverizing! Thanks again @Splintman .
No leaves in the front yard. Do I lock the casters in the backyard?...Are the Kennedys gun shy?

OP
S

Splintman

LawnSite Member
I finally got a chance to use the Ballard Shredders (Ballard's name for their 'gators') yesterday in my back yard. Not sure what to expect as I'm not a landscape pro, they chopped up the leaves into much smaller pieces and I assume they'll decompose easier and quicker.
I hope I can explain the following properly...these mowers don't have a floating deck so as I mow side to side on a slope, I leave a choppy or 'saw tooth' edge on each pass. The grass on the high side of the path seems to be taller than the lower edge. With the high lifts, this either doesn't happen or is negligible. It's noticeable with the stock (medium lift) blades and with these (Shredders) blades the issue seems exaggerated. I was told by a friend of mine, who is a landscape pro, that gator blades don't leave as pretty a lawn as high lift blades so he only uses them on lawns severely covered in leaves.
Bottom line: For my purpose I probably won't use them again and if I had it to do over knowing what I know now, would not buy them. Maybe I would, as I said in an earlier post, tell me I can't have something and watch me take it personally. hahaha, stupid me!

sagesove

LawnSite Senior Member
Thank you for the honest update. This is generally true concerning most mulching blades. They will never leave the table top cut you want.

As you said they seemed to have worked great for leaves. I would only ever use them to mulch leaves then. I wish you could have snapped a picture of your first pass over the leaves(before you mulched amd after) because that can tell us alot. Did you happen to double cut/mulch with them, as in a second pass with the deck up higher one notch?

Sorry for the many questions. Just really trying to get a good breakdown of the Ballards on the FW15.

And @Splintman you are a Superstar! for hanging out and coming back here with your progress to share on this forum for homeowners and commercial entities alike.
Thanks a million!!

Valk

LawnSite Platinum Member
I finally got a chance to use the Ballard Shredders (Ballard's name for their 'gators') yesterday in my back yard. Not sure what to expect as I'm not a landscape pro, they chopped up the leaves into much smaller pieces and I assume they'll decompose easier and quicker.
Were you side-discharging or mulching w/ a Qwikchute or did you have the factory mulch kit installed?

Right now I'm running one FW15 w/ the Qwikchute and one w/ the mulch kit.
IME, when it comes to mulching - the factory mulch kit is superior to just the Qwikchute or a chute blocker plate. The obvious problem is that one cannot easily convert between mulching vs side-discharging w/ the mulch kit installed.

How quickly can the mulch kit be properly installed and uninstalled? I'll venture 25-30 min?

Last edited:

Top Forums