1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Ferris i4000

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pristine PM, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Pristine PM

Pristine PM LawnSite Member

I was looking at a Ferris i4000 with a 1000 hours on it. I was told that it was bought for $23000 5 years ago, and he is looking for $7000 for it. It is his backup mower and he doesn't use it much. It is a 72 inch deck. I am not sure what the engine is but I believe it said 23 hp.

I will most likely not be buying this because it is to big, but we are bidding on some school boards and it would be great if we got a few of them and then we would buy this type of mower.

Is that price a bit high?

Are the hours decent? How much life can you expect to get out of these? (gas)

Thanks,

Jon

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

First off, I doubt he paid $23K for a 72" mower 5 years ago, even if it was a diesel. Second of all, I wouldn't buy a 72" ZTR with only 23HP even if it was diesel, that's just not enough power. $7K now, being 5 years old is too high, even with 1000 hours. I'd give him $2500 for it. A typical air-cooled gas engine is made for about 1500 hours from what I understand. So you wouldn't be getting many more seasons out of it. I would be looking at something else, there are much better deals out there.