Ferris iCD deck the same as Velocity Plus

rwm001

LawnSite Member
Stopped at the local Ferris dealer to look. I liked the ISX 800 with 52 inch deck power by the B+S 26 HP. The owner, who did sell Scag until a couple of years ago, said the deck is the same as the Scag Velocity Plus. Not really buying into the same deck as Scag. Any one have experience with the ISX 800 cut quality or input in general?
Thanks

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
Similar decks but not exact same. Scag will cut better in wet conditions, some will argue icd cuts better in dry conditions. Ferris is the best ride in the industry. If I were buying one today I'd get isx800 with the vanguard motor.

Grass Bass

LawnSite Member
We have both, in thicker wet grass the scag does better, especially at dispersing the grass. when dry, the ferris cuts just as well. In the ride category, the ferris is better. This is comparing a diesel Turf Tiger to an IS 3200Z with the 37hp vanguard.
How do you like the Kubota Diesel in that Turf Tiger? What size deck do you run? Does the power seem adequate. Tempting configuration that will last forever.

dathorpe

LawnSite Senior Member
Backing up what someone else has said - I own Ferris Z2 & Z3 standers... plus Cheetahs and Turf Tigers. I would say the Velocity Plus cuts a little better in both wet grass and dry grass, stripes a little better as well... but it's close. However, the Ferris stander makes up for coming up a little short on the cut by being a far superior stander to the Scag.

OP
R

rwm001

LawnSite Member
As a follow up question- how does the Ferris ICX 800 suspension hold up. Does it need parts replace every couple of years? Even with the “Simply the Brave” discount the Scag is more. But I think I am leaning towards the Scag Tiger Cat 2.

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
As a follow up question- how does the Ferris ICX 800 suspension hold up. Does it need parts replace every couple of years? Even with the “Simply the Brave” discount the Scag is more. But I think I am leaning towards the Scag Tiger Cat 2.
Ferris released the isx800 last year. It was the first model year using their new redesigned suspension. Its only been out a year so its impossible to speak to the longevity of the individual components and replacement intervals. The new design is called their forefront suspension. It has double wishbones upfront. Their outgoing style of suspension was great however there was slight cam out of the front wheels when it compressed. This new system keeps the wheels straight up and down through the full travel of the suspension, like a motor vehicles suspension. I've gotten feedback from a few guys on here that have it. They say the old suspension wss great and this is even better, and that they can mow even faster, due to not needing to slow as much for bumps.

SMC LC

LawnSite Member
I have a 61/37 cheetah and 52/25 isx800.

I like them both, scag has such a nice cut and discharge. The ferris has such a nice ride.

I save a lot more time using the cheetah vs the isx800 on anything over a half acre.

Icd cuts good and you'll like it, I sometimes run doubles on my ferris and it's almost comparable to scag.

Top Forums