Ferris IS 2100Z Light Install

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Hexa Fox, May 20, 2019.

1. Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox LawnSite Member

Hey guys I have always wanted to have a light kit on my Ferris so I can keep mowing later in the Summer/Fall. I decided today that I was going to bite the bullet and invest in the Ferris light kit. However, for my model I was told that they only mount to the roll over protection system. Which I may or may not have removed the day I purchased the unit.

So today I found an old fog lamp kit in my closet that I never used. My father and I started messing around and came up with what you see below. My only two concerns is whether or not the install will look professional and if the lights will get damaged as they will be the first thing in contact with anything facing the unit. A couple other questions I was hoping you guys could help me with?

1.) Can I expect these lights to pull a lot of juice or reduce my batteries life by any considerable amount?

2.) How do you guys think they look? If I come pulling up on the machine, does it say wow those lights look stupid? I think if I paint the brackets red it may look pretty good. I am self conscious on these matters.

3.) This light kit has less than desirable reviews, but it did not cost me anything. If these die in a year do you think locating a replacing to plug/crimp in to existing wires will be easy?

This is the exact light kit from Amazon, I have all the parts but missing the directions, been looking for them online but cannot seem to locate them.

https://www.amazon.com/Navigator-NV...0026IWKEI/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Ferris01.png

Ferris02.png

Ferris03.png

2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

You mention old so I'm guessing they're not LED. Get some new LED's

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox LawnSite Member

They are definitely old, I have probably had them about a decade lol. However, they are actually LED and suppose to be pretty illuminating. The bad reviews seem to be durability related. Like I said they look like they are going to go on the machine with little effort and it is not going to cost me anything.

Anyway, I am looking for a wiring diagram for them and just messaged the manufacturer, hopefully they retain stuff like that.

4. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Simply Wire them directly to the battery with a fuse n switch

5. OP
    OP
    Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox LawnSite Member

I have everything that came with these besides the original directions. What is confusing me is that there are two grounds. There is one that comes off the toggle switch, and there is another that comes directly off the wiring that connects the two lights.

I just called their customer support and there is a lack of customer support just like many have said already.

6. fatboynormmie

fatboynormmie LawnSite Bronze Member

7C0DA419-4A27-4990-9CA9-8232A66E489A.jpeg Maybe this will help. The switch just allows power to pass or not pass depending how it’s thrown. Just ground the lights to the chassis of the mower and it’s a simple one power wire hook up.

7. OP
    OP
    Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox LawnSite Member

Yeah this is the most straight forward setup. The only thing I do not understand about it is the very right between the lights that I think says "Red + Power". Like I mentioned though there are three prongs on my rocker switch. That is what is confusing me. See the next post to see exactly what I am referring to.

8. OP
    OP
    Hexa Fox

Hexa Fox LawnSite Member

Okay so this is exactly what I am dealing with. You can see there are three prongs to my rocker switch.

Left Black Wire - Just looks like it is suppose to be a simple ground.

Middle White Wire - Is routed to the lights, but if you look closely has another ground.

Right Red Wire - Goes to the batter and has a fuse.

I am certain that I am making this more complicated than it is, but I have never routed anything from a car battery or lawn mower battery by myself before. I have heard they can literally explode if you do something wrong. Plus I do not want to do any harm to my machine etc etc.

Ferris04.png

I went to my local auto parts store today and located a similar setup and found the box open. To my surprise they were almost exactly the same except a few small details. This is the diagram that came in those directions that makes a lot more sense to me. So do I need to drill two holes in the frame of my Ferris?
    Ferris05.jpg
    Finally the manufacturer got back to me today with this. Their customer service is not the best and this does not look like the right directions. They told me they would try to find something close since mine has been discontinued. If you look at this, the switch on this one only has two prongs, but the actually diagram is confusing to say the least. However, it looks like one of the ground is suppose to come back around to the battery??? Ferris06.png

9. fatboynormmie

The switch is most likely a lighted switch from the looks of it. The ground is on the switch as the neg supply path for the switch itself so it has a neg path back to the battery . The red wire and the black are the supply for the bulb in the switch itself. Simply forget the ground on the switch and just hook up the red wire from the battery and white wire on the switch to the lights and you should be good to go. Hope that makes sense.

With a lighted switch you could hook it up to work and use the ground on the switch if you want BUT then you would have to hook up the red wire to an “accessory “ wire on the mower so it will only have voltage when the key switch is on . Meaning you couldn’t connect it directly to the battery as the switch would stay lit all the time and kill the battery.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  10. fatboynormmie

That second picture you posted is a diagram of a relay. Just follow the above instructions and you should be good.