Ferris is3200 cut issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by EvenGrow, Jul 4, 2019.

1. EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

I'm not new to lawnsite but just recently made an account. I'm fairly new to the business with only about 3 years experience and working for a few local company's on the side the past few years. Last fall, I decided to buy a new ferris is3200 61'' with the 37hp efi vanguard for my business. I put about 20hrs a week on my mower. First off, around my area, there are a lot of Ferris's followed by a mixture of scag, grasshopper, and exmark. I've used all four of these brands now getting at least 50hrs of seat time on each so I'm pretty familiar with how they all cut. So far, I've put 150hrs on my ferris this season and I'm having a major problem with the cut. Its been to the dealer multiple times to check deck pitch, blades, rpms, etc... and no matter how its been setup, it leaves a streak of uncut grass exactly where the left side and center blades meet. I've tried stock blades, super high lifts, ferris non-icd blades, and g5 gator blades. I cut mainly limp blade grasses and most lawns I cant cut under 3 3/4'' but mainly I cut at 4'' on the nice lawns and 3 1/2'' on the weedy lawns. The deck will only cut cleanly at or below 3 1/4''. Its very aggravating knowing I dropped 15k for the mower and triple bagger and the cut is terrible. I don't bag grass, only leaves in the fall at the moment so 95% of the time I'm side discharging. Scag, grasshopper, and exmark all leave a very manicured cut on these same grasses. I'm at a loss as to what I should do at this point. Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

3. Big Dog Diablo

Have you verified the pitch & height of cut is correct? I would double check those even though the dealer has done it.

4. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yes, used a deck pitch gauge and have tried completely level, 1/8'' forward, and 1/4'' forward. The cut seems the same no matter what pitch it is set at

5. Big Dog Diablo

Has it been like this the whole time or just started?

sjessen likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

The whole time basically. Like I said, got it in the fall so grass wasn't growing hardly at all but this spring the cut has been horrendous. The other mowers I mentioned have no issues at all leaving a very manicured cut in these conditions,

7. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Do all of your mowers have this deck?

Walker56 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

No, Ferris has the icd deck. Scag is the velocity plus, Exmark is the ultracut series 4, and the grasshopper is the Duramax deck. All 60'' or 61'' cuts. Discharge is different between them all but the ferris by far has the worst cut

9. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Ok, so this is your only Ferris mower?

Walker56 likes this.
  10. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Is one of the spindles bent? Or maybe a bearing race is in slightly crooked causing a blade to slightly offset? Take the deck off and compare measurements between each blade, between the bottom of the deck and each blade tip, measure completely around each pulley to the top of the deck.

Something is certainly out of alignment. Also make sure that you are using the correct length blades, stranger things have happened.

13Razorbackfan likes this.