Ferris is3200 cut issues

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by EvenGrow, Jul 4, 2019.

1. shane772

shane772 LawnSite Member

Yes I do.

2. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

Yes at around 3'' its great. But there's no chance I could cut any of my lawns that short.

sjessen likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

What issues have you had?

4. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

That suggests it maybe a vacuum issue. Possible design flaw for your type of grass?

5. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

That's what I'm thinking. It's funny because they are so popular here. Just don't understand why so many people would buy them if they cut like this. I see everyone else's lawns that have them and they don't look too great

sjessen likes this.
  6. Mumblingboutmowers

Mumblingboutmowers LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone has their preferences and beliefs on what height they believe grass should be cut and I am surprised by the amount of people on here that mow at 3 or 4 or more inches. I think many decks do have issues when mowing so high due to less vacuum. Personally, I mow at 2.5 in. the majority of the time, occasionally 2.25 and occasionally 2.75 in. When I am taking grass down that is really high, I may do the first mow at 3 or 3.5 or deck all the way up depending on how high it is. The shorter the cut the cleaner the cut all the time.

7. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

Not sure where you live but where I’m at, terrain is way too rough to mow below 3.25”. I have some lawns that the mower scalps at 4” because everything is so uneven even when floating the deck pedal. In fact, I don’t have a single lawn that I don’t have to float the pedal on. Maybe down south where everything is nice and smooth people can get away with it, but not where I’m at. Also cool season grasses can’t be cut low because they would burn out very easily and look brown.

Ridin' Green, sjessen and Hawkshot99 like this.
  8. Mumblingboutmowers

I am in PA as well and have been mowing this way for decades. I do some rough yards myself and am always lifting and lowering the deck with the foot pedal as needed.

EvenGrow likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    EvenGrow

EvenGrow LawnSite Member
    from PA

Weeds I don't mind cutting short, just not lawns with fine fescue, tall fescue, and bent grass. Just leaves a bad appearance on those lawns cutting under 4". Grasshopper, scag, and exmark have no issues on these same lawns, just not the ferris.

10. Mumblingboutmowers

Everyone has their own tastes, but I would be fired from most of my jobs if I even let them get 3 or 4 inches high. I guess we are all in different situations though.

EvenGrow likes this.