1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Ferris is3200 owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Dawson, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Dawson

Dawson LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had my is3200 (60inch) for about 8 months now and noticed when I got it the deck won't go as high as my old exmark deck would but didn't think much of it. Had a customer ask me to raise my cutting height today on a yard I was already cutting at the highest setting and I told her I was already cutting at 4.5 inches (based on the label which I assumed was close to accurate) and I could only go up quarter inch or so more by cutting at the transport height. Well I measured it tonight and my blade height is actually 1 inch lower than the label says it should be. So the absolute highest I can cut with this machine is 4 inches and that's in transport.
    My exmark blades sat right at 5 inches at the transport height.

Can some is3200 owners measure theirs and see if their blade height is 1 inch lower than the label indicates? Also measure what the maximum height overall is for your blades with the deck in the transport height? I'm trying to decide if mine is not adjusted properly and I should take it back to the dealer because an extra inch would be nice especially for getting on and off my trailer without scraping the top of the deck on the gate, plus I do have yards that need to be cut higher than 4 inches especially as I get on into Summer and grass starts growing faster.

I have a feeling that's about as high as I'm going to get it because the suspension has to have room to operate but don't know why they put the heights all wrong on the label if that's the way it's supposed to be? According to the blade height sticker (not to mention the specs on their website) I should be able to get up to about 5 inches.

2. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Never had a floating deck mower come with the deck adjusted properly. Dealer is supposed to do it during prep, but they never do.

Park it in a perfectly flat piece of concrete and adjust yourself. Deck should be adjusted to the blades, not deck shell.

ARN Greencare and Ridin' Green like this.
  3. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I own 2 ferris 3200z. One a 2016 model and the other a 2019. I have noticed when they are new they cut to correct cut height . After about 400 hrs the height seems to get lower. I run mine in transport mode at 5 inches. But probably cut at 4.5 actual cut height. I played around with the deck on my 2016 model and now I can get it to cut higher. You have to jack up deck and adjust it while deck is at the highest point.

Dawson likes this.
  4. Crazy 4 grass

Crazy 4 grass LawnSite Platinum Member

Do you think this is caused by the suspension settling slightly?

5. OP
    OP
    Dawson

After I posted I realized what part or maybe all of my problem is.... I'm running front tweels on it and they compress noticeably when the mower is just sitting, plus the tweels are slightly smaller diameter than the stock pneumatic casters to begin with. The front end could easily be down nearly an inch from stock as a result and since the front of the deck is already pitched down a bit from the factory any loss of height in the front would decrease my cutting height by the same amount at any setting.

I think the 60 inch ferris is just a little bit too heavy for the tweels in the front. They were not compressed at all sitting still on my previous 60 inch exmark which is around 200 lbs lighter if I recall.

Ridin' Green and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  6. williams lcm

Not the tweels. I have tweels on one machine front and back. The other all air tires on them. I have have 2 machines both have lower cut heights now

7. OP
    OP
    Dawson

Interesting...... Not the case on mine though,. I swapped them this evening and if my pneumatic stock caster wheels have the recommended pressure in them they raise they raise my blades about a half inch sitting still on level concrete which brings it up to 4.5 inches (from 4 inches) at the transport height. And that is gained soley from the sag in the tweels, they actually measure really close (less than a 1\4 inch) to the pneumatics with no weight on them.

I'm going to try your method for setting the deck a little higher, I really don't want to go back to the stock wheels so if I could get an extra half inch and still use the tweels I think that would be a good compromise.

8. williams lcm

I cannot go back to stock wheels. Just jack up deck and adjust. I cut everything in transport mode.

9. OP
    OP
    Dawson

Do your tweels sag or compress this much sitting still on flat ground?

IMG_20200704_163622.jpg

10. williams lcm

I am sure mine do. Same wheels. How many hours on machine? How are your bearing holding up on the tweels?