Ferris is3200 seat occupancy switch

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I just got a new Ferris is3200 with the 37hp efi vanguard.

I always disable the seat switch on my mowers for efficiency as well as to greatly reduce wear and tear on the blade clutch from repeated un-needed starts and stops of the blades every time I need to open/close a gate, pick up a hose, scratch my but, etc.....

Anyway, never had a problem disabling it with previous machines I've owned, (exmark, gravely, dixie chopper) but this ferris seems to be doing something different. Jumping (shorting) the plug for the seat switch usually works but the ferris just kills the engine as soon as I release the parking brake. I discovered It's seat switch is actually "normally closed" so simply unplugging the switch with no jumper in the plug should have worked, but no luck that way either. I even went so far as connecting the plug to an external switch I could flip off and on easily but even that doesn't work, engine shuts off regardless of which position its in when I disengage the brake.

It has no safety switches on the control arms but it does have a double switch on the parking break so that when the parking brake is engaged one side (of the switch) is open and the other side is closed and then vice versa when the parking brake is disengaged, so that's different from other mowers I've had as well.

I know some people are leary about publicly giving tips to disable "safety" features so a pm is fine too if anyone can help me figure this out.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Best thing to do is snag ya a wiring diagram. A Ferris parts manual or shop manual should have one in it. Owners manual ?
I do actually, I have a PDF with exploded diagrams and the last few pages do have electrical diagrams for my mower. I'll look it over and see if I can figure it out but if not would you mind if I pm you a link to the PDF so you can look at it and see if you can see a way to disable that seat switch without disabling the mower?

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
I looked online for a wiring diagram, no luck. I did find a Ferris setup procedure for dealer delivery but that was just a checklist to verify safeties are working. I'm wondering if there are resistors somewhere in the circuit? Say 4000 ohms for shutdown and 500 ohms to run? Or is the safety switches wired to a control module which is shutting the engine off? Sorry I don't know more about these new units. Good luck.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
I looked online for a wiring diagram, no luck. I did find a Ferris setup procedure for dealer delivery but that was just a checklist to verify safeties are working. I'm wondering if there are resistors somewhere in the circuit? Say 4000 ohms for shutdown and 500 ohms to run? Or is the safety switches wired to a control module which is shutting the engine off? Sorry I don't know more about these new units. Good luck.
Here's a screenshot from the PDF I have of the wiring diagram for my machine.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Screenshot_20190831-204801.png

JoeRagMan

LawnSite Senior Member
From the diagram, the black wire on the engine connector is the ground wire for the magneto which grounds the coils to stop the engine. That circuit has to be grounded at some point to prevent you from engaging the pto if the seat switch is disconnected. Where or why that is happening I don’t know as that circuit is going through several switches. I think that I’d purchase an extended grabber used to pick up trash so the safety circuit stays as is. Good luck.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
From the diagram, the black wire on the engine connector is the ground wire for the magneto which grounds the coils to stop the engine. That circuit has to be grounded at some point to prevent you from engaging the pto if the seat switch is disconnected. Where or why that is happening I don’t know as that circuit is going through several switches. I think that I’d purchase an extended grabber used to pick up trash so the safety circuit stays as is. Good luck.
I have one for picking up trash but it rarely helps with opening\closing gates, moving hoses or scratching my but?

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Yep, a finger app, or they have the stick app too, but that can be tricky.

OP
D

Dawson

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah, normally I can lift up some and get a good scratch without anybody noticing but when the engine suddenly starts winding down about the time I get my hand under me anyone arounds gonna look, and there I am:oops:

,Seriously though, if I pull the seat switch plug the circuit is open just like it is when I sit in the seat...why does the engine still shut off when I disengage the parking brake in that situation? Im not understanding why that won't work? I even connected a switch to the seat plug so I could manually control it and it still won't work.