Ferris IS500Z 27hp Briggs 61" deck

cfranzen

LawnSite Member
Curious if anyone knows what model pumps and wheel motors are used on this unit. Any other input on the mower in general. Local place has them for $5,999. Seems like a very well made machine. Looking to use it just at my residence cutting 3 acres. Hoping it will last me a long time. Looking to cash in a craftsman lawn tractor with about 200 hours on it over a 6 year time frame. Just want more speed. Anyone use a snow blade on this model?

IS500Z

LawnSite Member
I have a different version of the same mower (smaller deck) and, in general, I am pleased with it. You said you are mowing 3 acres and if you mow 30 times a year you might be putting on 100 or more hours a year of the machine. Depending on how long you want to keep the mower for, you might consider looking at the 1500 or the 2000. More money, but you get a commercial quality engine in the mower. The Briggs ELS (or whatever they call them now) is a good engine for typical homeowner duty, but you are mowing more than an averaged sized residential property FWIW.

OP
C

cfranzen

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the response. I do mow 3 acres, and currently it takes about 1.5 to 1.75 hours per mow. Pretty wide open. The hope would be to get that to about an hour going from a 54" deck on the lawn tractor and traveling 4mph cutting to the IS500z. That puts about 30-40 hours a year. Still trying to convince the wife, and really don't want to exceed the $6000 range on price. What is the expected life out of this Briggs motor, when taken care of properly.