1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

ferris or toro walk behind?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scottt, May 1, 2000.

1. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I'm been mowing for quite a few years with a 21" honda, but I want something larger to save time and get larger accounts. I've been looking at a Toro 37" and a Ferris 36". I used a 36" Toro with a fixed deck and had problems with scalping on bumpy lawns and on small hills. I had to go slow on small bumps or it would scalp. Was I doing something wrong or do all fixed deck mowers do this? The Toro I am looking at has a floating deck. I can get the Ferris with a hydrostat cheaper than the Toro with gear drive. Which is a better machine for the money and will I always have problems with scalping on bumpy lawns? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lawnnorder

Lawnnorder LawnSite Member

Scott: I have been using a 36" Ferris for five years now. Exceptional reliability and very easy to use. I have had no problems with it at all and usually starts first pull. Cut down on my cutting time by one half. A little more money but a lot more value.

3. scott korczynski

scott korczynski LawnSite Member

Go with the toro. I have a 44" floating gear drive and love it.

4. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Scott, as far as walk behinds go I use Toro. I have had 12.5 kawi with 52 " deck(sold after 5 years) and now have 2 44" 14 and 15hp and a 37"14hp. They are reliable and easy to operate and maitain.

5. steve

steve LawnSite Member

i'd go with a ferris

6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

It only matters to you. Have the dealer set you up with a demo unit for a day. Take into account warranty and service its worth plenty. You make the call - your the one cutting with it. BTW I love my Toro 15hp 44" hydro.Good Luck.