Ferris vs Big Dog?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Daltonbonanno, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Daltonbonanno

Daltonbonanno LawnSite Member

Looking at a new mower for next year. I came across the Big Dog Diablo 60" with a 27 hp Kawasaki mowers for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and honestly was real impressed. Also, kicking around the idea of Ferris 320 60" with the 32 briggs. Only thing i hate is the Briggs seems to drink gas where the kawasaki seems to be more fuel efficient. Just wanted to get some peoples opinion who may have some time in the seat of either mower.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Big dog diablo is to hustler as mercury is to ford
    It’s basically just a hustler that’s red

Honestly it depends how much time you’re going to put into the mower...
    Are you going to keep it 2500 hours of more?
    Or trade it out frequently for a new one?

The Briggs is a longer lasting more durable engine
    You should get rid of the kawi when it starts having issues, they just become more and more frequent
    This will be between 600 and 1200 hours depending on how “lucky” you are and whether your engine was built Friday after lunch.

Typically a main production mower will get about 5.5 hours a day of use
    5 days a week
    30 weeks a year
    Giving you about 825 hours a year (on average)
    Most crews will get one to two years before seeing regular performance issues with the kawi.
    While it’s ok because it’s under warranty
    It’s your down time that’s an issue

This is where JD comes into play
    If the dealer participates in the never stop program
    You get a free loaner while they do warranty work on your machine
    Additionally Deere has a higher bar for what they put on their machines (basically no Friday after lunch engines)
    End result is if you really want a kawi on your machine get a Deere, then lease them or trade them out every three years (or when ever the warranty ends.

Me?
    I’d buy the Ferris with the Briggs

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  3. Big Dog Diablo

Big Dog Diablo LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2012 60" Diablo with 35hp kaw. Has 1500hrs and only issue with motor was had to problem out of charging system. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

4. greenlawn33a

greenlawn33a LawnSite Senior Member

You can get the Ferris 320 with the 37 efi Vanguard. That is an option for that mower

TrainingWheels likes this.
  5. Daltonbonanno

With an "open deck" under neath, does the mower have a hard time getting rid of long clippings? And how does it do in wet grass?

6. Daltonbonanno

Dad had a 3200 with a 37 efi and it seemed to drink more than the 32hp he traded for.

7. greenlawn33a

First time I ever heard of that. I average less than 5 gallons doing over 8 acres of overly high grass.... more like mowing a field. Perhaps your dads engine wasn't working properly. All reports I have read is he 37efi is more efficient than the 32 carbed.

TrainingWheels likes this.
  8. greenlawn33a

You van get fancy and get one of these limited editions IS3200MIDNIGHT_RF-899x1200.jpg

9. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I gave the 37 efi vanguard on my ferris 3200z. All I can say it is excellent on fuel and runs so smooth. I am at 950 hrs so far so good. Probably best motor out there in my opinion. I tried them all.

TrainingWheels and hort101 like this.
  10. greenlawn33a

I agree. My experience as well.