Ferris Z2 - PTO Question

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by douglee25, Oct 8, 2019.

1. douglee25

douglee25 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TX

If you have a Ferris Z2, can you test something out for me?

Stand on the machine and turn the key on, pull up the PTO switch.

Does the PTO engage?

If not, pull further up on the switch, does it engage then?

I bought this unit and I'm unsure if there's a problem or not. MY PTO will NOT engage unless you pull up ALL the way on the switch. I was under the impression that was ONLY needed after you hopped off the platform to pick up trash and then reengaged the PTO.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Doug

2. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Senior Member

That same thing happened to me and it was a bad pto switch. New one and it was fine. Easy fix.

Breezmeister likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    douglee25

from TX

I reached out to Ferris today. According to the wiring diagram, it's functioning exactly like it's supposed to. The tech told me that folks likely don't even realize that they are pulling the PTO switch far enough to engage the momentary switch. If they weren't, the blades would not come on. It's also possible that since my unit was a demo/new unit that the switch was possibly worn. Either way, I'm getting a new switch from the dealer on warranty.

Thanks for the help.

4. jrodgers

jrodgers LawnSite Senior Member

When mine went out in the field, to get by I had to rig the switch with a bungee to keep the blades on and finish the day. Good luck!

douglee25 likes this.
  5. The Swamp Fox

The Swamp Fox LawnSite Member

On the 2017 Ferris SRS Z2 with the 28 HP B&S Vanguard and the 52" deck I currently have on demo, the PTO switch is functioning exactly as you describe.

I worked hard to try to ensure I was pulling it only up to the "first" level of engagement, but found that there appeared to only be one such level and that I was not accidentally passing it to the second level.

6. OP
    OP
    douglee25

from TX

Thanks for the heads up!

The Swamp Fox likes this.