Ferris Z2 vs Scag V-Ride 2 demo

JaekayDesign

LawnSite Senior Member
Well..,I follow a lot of people with ferris mowers.. they don’t say anything about having to send it to the dealer to be serviced.. and the stuff I have put that mower thru.. I promise if it was a gravely or a scag.. it would be in the shop. I know 70 hours isn’t much... but.. I didn’t buy this mower on a whim.. i did 2 years of research.. asked people who owned both mowers.. and with my own eyes saw people constantly taking their scats in to get worked on.. people with Z2’s and Z3x’s.. they never talk about having to take it in to the dealer. Same with wright. And 28hp makes a lot more difference than 25.. also... the oil guard system will ensure that my motor will last a lot lot longer than others that don’t have it. It also seems that SCAG’s fade really bad on the sun...

JaekayDesign

LawnSite Senior Member
Only problems I foresee might be a PTO switch going out (got a replacement in the truck) and possibly a belt going. Other than that.. well.. change hydro oil/filters.. then prob change the Vanguard synthetic at @ 350-380 hours.. it says good till 500... but.. I’d rather change it early, especially with new motor.. even though they say they run the motors for a while.. change out the oil and all that .. then fill it with new Vanguard synthetic.. idk.. but.. better be safe.. but. It’s only good enough for race cars... ha!

MNLawns

LawnSite Bronze Member
All day I see people taking their scag mowers to the dealer to get worked on. My ferris hasn’t been to the dealer yet, and I don’t plan to. Got about 70 hours or so on it.. don’t use it all day, everyday.. but it gets used pretty good... no problems.. 8k flat. A 52” scar, with way less hp, no oil guard. Shitty springs on the flatdorm.. etc...,”all for the velocity plus deck” thats a load of crap. My deck cuts just a good. On a way better mower.. for Way Less
200 hrs on ours and we have had a few problems... electrical harness/overheating sensor went out 80hrs, bent 3 pins for setting the deck height, 4 of the linkage rods for lifting the deck, bent the front right corner of the deck in (very flimsy design), platform vibrates like crazy compared to the grandstands, need I go on?

Oh and the V+ deck is way better I know someone that runs several ferris standers he bought a used vride, and it cuts way better than the icd.

JaekayDesign

LawnSite Senior Member
I haven’t experienced any of those problems.. my platform is smooth and doesn’t vibrate at all.. seems like someone was rough on that mower..I don’t like the solid linkage. I did at first.but that’s my only complaint. It’s worked great for me, and everyone I know that has one

MNLawns

LawnSite Bronze Member
I haven’t experienced any of those problems.. my platform is smooth and doesn’t vibrate at all.. seems like someone was rough on that mower..I don’t like the solid linkage. I did at first.but that’s my only complaint. It’s worked great for me, and everyone I know that has one
When I say linkage I am talking about the metal bar that runs between two points on the front and back of the deck...

Rough on the mower??? This is a commercial mower, meant to be used all day every day and not just to cut golf course greens, these are meant to mow grass, they will get beat up, I know someone that smashed a toro grandstand into a stump going full speed and did a superman over the front... no damage to the deck

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
When I say linkage I am talking about the metal bar that runs between two points on the front and back of the deck...

Rough on the mower??? This is a commercial mower, meant to be used all day every day and not just to cut golf course greens, these are meant to mow grass, they will get beat up, I know someone that smashed a toro grandstand into a stump going full speed and did a superman over the front... no damage to the deck
Suppose part of the problem stems from the complicated suspension system making damage more likely? Lots of parts up front on Ferris mowers.

MNLawns

LawnSite Bronze Member
Suppose part of the problem stems from the complicated suspension system making damage more likely? Lots of parts up front on Ferris mowers.
This is one of the standons, but yes as per the head mechanic at my shop every year they try to "correct" a "problem" if you try to stop quickly on one of the full suspension zero turns it will leave 3 half circle divots. They cut okay, but there is a reason they dont cost as much as a grandstand, which is about an $1200 difference. My ferris srs z2 may be the most hillside stable and best cutting mower out there, but in reality the grandstand is close enough and is more durable that I will pay the extra $1200

Top Forums