• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Ferris Zero Turns vs Scag, Hustler etc..

GGsimons

LawnSite Member
No one seems to mention Ferris which are probably the best built mowers around. Is it because you do not have any dealer support in your area or a they to expensive for most of you ?

Mahoney3223

LawnSite Senior Member
Well I know they straight jacked Scag's Velocity deck...my dealer carries both and he said "Yep, Like Ferris' new deck? They pretty much ripped off Scag"...They are nice units and I've owned one but I think they are little pricey...and I run Scag and they are expensive! I think Ferris is a little more expensive

PhillipsBrosLawnCare

LawnSite Member
We run a Ferris and 2 scags. If the grass is wet might as well keep the ferris in the shop. Ours clogs up real bad. However the new decks are supposed to have alievated all those problems. But ours is no where near as durable as the Scags. The scags have 700 and 1200 hours on them and the Ferris has 500 - Scags will outperform the Ferris every time.

OP
G

GGsimons

LawnSite Member
So would you all say if money was not an issue that the Scag is the best out with Ferris second and who would fall into 3rd spot ? maybe Hustler ?

hornett22

LawnSite Senior Member
So would you all say if money was not an issue that the Scag is the best out with Ferris second and who would fall into 3rd spot ? maybe Hustler ?
I like Scag walk behinds.I do not even want to try anything else.As for a ZTR,I do not own one and don't plan on rushing out to get one any time soon.I would look at the Bob Cats though,they cut great and seem like a nice machine.My step brother has one on Michigan and it's a nice machine.The town I live in just bought some and the cut looks excellent.I would probably get the Turf Tiger though.

FastMan

LawnSite Senior Member
Ferris is not available here. Are they really more expensive than Scag/Exmark?

I've researched long and hard in prep for my spring ZT purchase. As far as I can see there's no universal 'Best' machine. All have particular attributes and compromises. What might represent "best" for one person, may not be considered "best" by someone else. It all depends on individual needs and personal preferences.

RTR Landscaping

LawnSite Senior Member
I believe it is hard to beat a Scag mower. The overall quality is tops in the industry in my opinion. I know the ride on a Ferris is nice, but the cut quality leaves a lot to be desired. Scag Velocity decks will cut tall or wet grass better than any. Also very important is the dealer you choose. I'm fortunate to have very good dealer support for my Scag equipment.

LexingtonKYcutter

LawnSite Member
We run a Ferris and 2 scags. If the grass is wet might as well keep the ferris in the shop. Ours clogs up real bad. However the new decks are supposed to have alievated all those problems. But ours is no where near as durable as the Scags. The scags have 700 and 1200 hours on them and the Ferris has 500 - Scags will outperform the Ferris every time.

I have heard some people say that, but we didnt see that with our new 2000s we bought last year up here in Lexington. I did see the 201o model with their new ICD deck and the discharge is HUGE. Cant imagine it clogging up unless you were doing some major bushhogging. The deck does look alot like a Velocity deck and from all reports cuts like one. Ferris having the best ride, a great cut, and being cheaper than Exmark has us changing out our whole Exmark Fleet to Ferris.

T avery

LawnSite Member
while I don't own a ferris or exmark I have looked closely at both and if the price and dealer support being equal, the responsiveness of exmark's new hydro system is leading me that direction. I like the ride of the ferris is2000 but man that's alot of moving parts..(if it counts, that new JD looks to be a tough contender to the above mentioned)