1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

ferriss(sp) walk behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slowleak, Feb 15, 2003.

1. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

any advice about these machine's the one i have has a kaw 14 hp. older belt driven model. thanks, kevin

2. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

Rodfather has, I think nine of them; he will be able to help you.:)

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Extremely reliable machines. We have had I guess like 12 or so of them in the past 9 years. One hydro pump went south on us after 4 years, but it was still under warantee and didn't cost us a dime. We've also had 4 of their 3-wheelers as well...also great machines.

Recently added a Z (IS3000) from the constant pressure from a certain (unmentioned...LOL) fellow LS member. Very nice unit too.

We don't run belt-driven Ferris units, only hydro. So I can't really help you there. If you need any additional info, you can contact me at Rspronck@aol.com.

Good Luck with your machine and I hope that helps.

4. johnhenry

johnhenry LawnSite Senior Member

Ferris are great machines.Plus I have never had a problems with dealing with them.

5. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1995 belt driven walk behind. Best mower I have.
    WELL WORTH THE $$.

There built well. And cut well too.

Demo a machine. I'm looking at maybe a new Ferris rider.

6. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

i have 98'belt drive and it has made me a lot of money$$
    i have had a hydro but didnt like it because it was heavier than the belts and it was harder to make a turn on a dime

7. rodfather

Harder??? :confused: It should be easier. I don't get that one.

8. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

yah i didnt understand either but i have done both and the belt is easier and also quicker in and out of the turns

9. rodfather

Could be one of two things...it was a single hydro vs. a dual hydro. Secondly, the filter(s) may have needed to be replaced and/or the pump itself wasn't turned up to where it should be.

Hydro machines will be a little heavier, but like I said, I've never heard someone say a belt-driven unit turned easier than a hydro. Ease of turning is one of the big reasons we run them in the first place.

10. skrats

skrats LawnSite Member

yes i failed to inform you that it was a single pump