• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Fert + .10 Dimension vs. .15Dim vs. .21 Dim

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Guys,

Heard different things on this. I have historically put down one app of Fert + .10 Dimension for crabby and select other weed control. Have heard to do a split app with another round of .10 Dimension on 2nd rd. I don't really want to do this because of cost mainly.

Was wondering if I could do just ONE app with a .15 or .21 product instead of the split apps? In other words, will a higher %AI product give me longer lasting control than the lower .10 product? Or, will all I do is dump more AI on the turf at one time with NO lengthening of control?

I have heard a few guys on here say that I will get longer lasting control with the higher %AI product. My Reinders rep says that I will not get any longer lasting control. What is the truth on this?

grassman177

LawnSite Fanatic
it has everything to do with your timing. being so far north i cant answer your question, but here if i wait and do a one app rate later than normal, i get all the control i ever need.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
The higher rate will give you longer control. That is my opinion. Read the bag label carefully. Label suggests a higher rate in more southern areas, or crabgrass-prone areas, or areas with a history of crabgrass. I suspect the prodiamine label will be similar in this regards.

Greenery

LawnSite Senior Member
When are you applying your first app? If its too early like many companies do in mn then yes a second would be nice. I generally do 1 app of pre-m with really crabby lawns getting two.
Posted via Mobile Device

jbturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
qoute directly from dimension label- read it
"The duration of residual weed control provided by this product
is directly related to the total rate applied..."

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
qoute directly from dimension label- read it
"The duration of residual weed control provided by this product
is directly related to the total rate applied..."
Your exactly right...I did read the label and did understand from it that a higher rate of application should lead to longer lasting control, not including the many variables that may come into play. But what is the critical mass when it comes to length of control i.e. when do we start doing more harm than good?
Also to note, I have been running the 19-0-6 Lesco with .10 Dimension at the program 2 rate. This gives about 0.80 lb of N per K. Perhaps I should bump this up to the program 3 rate as an option...only drawback is the N per K kicks up to 1.1 lb apprx which to me is a little much for a spring app esp with only 30% slow. AND, the pre-emerge control length does not appear to change with this bump.

greenery - I apply my fert/pre end of April/beginning of May. It IS early for so. MN BUT my 2nd rd then does not happen until early June which I feel MAY miss the boat on some early crab spring up. Perhaps someone can dispell my fears on this.....I would LOVE to do a straight fert app Rd 1 and put pre down Rd 2 if I am confident I would still get good control.

jbturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
.....I would LOVE to do a straight fert app Rd 1 and put pre down Rd 2 if I am confident I would still get good control.[/QUOTE said:
i think you have the best case scenario there (for dimension)
if you can make it work timing wise

typically in my area the earliest i will see crabgrass emerge is late may
what is it in your area? how long does it take you to apply a full rnd to all
your customers? when do you usually start your season?

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
i think you have the best case scenario there (for dimension)
if you can make it work timing wise

typically in my area the earliest i will see crabgrass emerge is late may
what is it in your area? how long does it take you to apply a full rnd to all
your customers? when do you usually start your season?
Late May at the absolute earliest here, more like June. I do not yet have that many customers, I can finish easily in 5 days per rd. I start my season late April and cannot really push that date as snow-out here sometimes goes into the beginning of April and I do not want to feed matted down, snow molded grass with N by applying too early.

jbturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
so are you looking to change what you have been doing- due to poor results/break thrus
or otherwise?

if I were in your situation, i would opt to apply only one application of pre-emergent
at the ideal time on my accts

alot of people ( myself included) take 5-6 weeks to get a full rnd applied to all accts,
and split apps is necessary some times

i assume you know what your target AI/acre is for a single app, now your task is
to find the blend of product that will give you this target AI as well as your target
for N primarily
you will probably find that 19-x-x plus dimension .10% granular- that alot of suppliers
push on everyone- is in fact not ideal for your needs