Fert and squirt vs. Full Maintenance

jlawton

LawnSite Member
Hello Everyone,

After spending the past ten years working on golf courses I realize that is getting me nowhere and I am ready to jump in the lawn care world.

My first step is that I am trying to decide which route to take. Should I focus only on fertilizing, herbicides, fungicides, overseeding, topdressing and aerify or should also get into maintenance too?

I have all of my pesticide license and a turf degree, so I am comfortable with the chemicals.

Would love to get everyones opinion.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

bmoorefield

LawnSite Member
I really think specializing in fert and squirt would be the way to go with your experience. I think there are a lot of companies out there that would or should hire a sub-contractor that is licensed. Start advertising and buy your equipment used to start out.

Green_Will

LawnSite Member
I just got my Pesticide Applicator License to expand my business... The only thing I've noticed is that I would need to have a large clientele to make good money if I was just doing treatments. If you throw maintenance into it, you get yourself a reliable monthly income and separate yourself from the guys with the pick-up and trailer charging $20 bucks a cut.

Tizzy

LawnSite Senior Member
go fert and squirt. send mailers to all the Landscape companies in the area you want to work and see what you can get.

in my area most lawns go for around $1000+ per season for fert, broadleaf, grub/insect, and lime. aeration is usually seperate charge. plus you can easily handle 200+ customers yourself.

Green_Will

LawnSite Member
Okay, so let's go along with Tizzy for a minute. First, take the material costs out of that 1000 bucks and what do you have left? Next, contacting other landscaping companies causes two problems... 1. Now you have to work for THEIR price so they can make a buck on you and still be affordable to the customer. 2. You have just defeated the purpose of leaving your job to work for yourself. Lastly, you are competing with gigantic franchises like GreenLawn, Scott's, Trugreen. You can compete with their customer service, but you can't compete with their material costs because of the massive quantities they are buying.

Green_Will

LawnSite Member
Listen, you are an EXPERT in lawn MAINTENANCE. You know pesticides, mowing, and irrigation already, don't sell yourself short. Put all that knowledge to work for you!

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
whats the difference between that, and competing with every other guy with a mower and trailer that will mow lawns for 15 to 20 bucks just to get the work.

Lastly, you are competing with gigantic franchises like GreenLawn, Scott's, Trugreen. You can compete with their customer service, but you can't compete with their material costs because of the massive quantities they are buying.

OP
J

jlawton

LawnSite Member
Thanks for everyone's opinion and thoughts.

I will try not to offend anyone, but I'm going to try the fert and squirt route first. If I see a need to add mowing and irrigation I could always start to offer that.

I have located me a space in the Charlotte, NC area and I have already handed in my two weeks notice on the golf course. So I'm taking the plounge here real soon. I'm sure I will have more questions down the road.

Thanks again,
Jon
Posted via Mobile Device

redsox

LawnSite Member
Good Luck!
I am mainly fert n spray but I have commercial clients that I do for full service. I don't mow though. There are too many guys doing it. I just want to do there fert n spray. A benefit of this is that thier advertising is your too. If you do sub make sure you bill the customer directly. Network,network,network,market,market. Oh ya and some of those mowing guys might hire you on for a day or two to keep cash flow. Your first year you will need it.