Fert applications

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by jays886, Oct 21, 2017.

1. jays886

jays886 LawnSite Member

Hi all, just received my applicator license and was wondering what a typical round involves regarding the broadleaf control? Is the first broadleaf application a blanket covering (and then spot spray for remainder of year)?
    After all the reading and preparing for the exam none of the books detail particular products or how to apply them lol. I understanding reading the label is important - I just thought there would be more specific info on amount of applications, implementation of products, etc, etc.
    About the only round they detail is the pre emergent application with fertilizer (round 1).
    After that info is kind of vague. Thank you in advance

2. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Your location would help.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  3. jays886

jays886 LawnSite Member

in between Dayton and Cincy (Oh)

4. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

A 4-1-2 ratio at 1lb N per 1000, 50% SRN should do good. Feed the grass into dormancy. It's going to start transporting all available nutrients in the root system for winter. Will have a good rebound out of dormancy.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

No one wants to give away their favorite trade secrets. Do your own homework. Read a few posts right here--or a few thousand. You will soon get an idea of what to apply. Different climates, grasses and weeds need different products and timing.
    Drop by your local fert dealer--buy him a cup of coffee. Get him talking. Listen to his sales pitch. If you want detail, you may have to spring for a fresh doughnut.

kemco and hort101 like this.
  6. jays886

jays886 LawnSite Member

Thank you, much appreciated

7. jays886

jays886 LawnSite Member

Not looking for anyone to release any trade secrets. Just had a general question about broadleaf weed applications and general timing. I do plan on speaking to distributors and such but I thought I'd refer to this site due to the nature of this forum. Been in the industry (lawn/landscape maintenance) and I understand your point. When dealing with chemicals though there is a large learning curb. I was just amazed at the lack of detailed information the Dept of Agriculture provided on the business side of things. No problem buying the donut. In fact, to take it a step further, I am a true believer in paying for information when warranted. I notice your in Michigan, if you feel you have a good blue print for someone such as myself (just getting into this side of the industry) let me know if you'd like to work something out?! I have a good client list I can actively advertise to so I just want to make sure my approach is consistent to industry standards. Furthermore, I thought asking professionals on this website would help me sift through any potential b.s a distributor may try to sell me. Without knowing much about individual products I can see where someone in my position may buy something that might not necessarily be needed. If there weren't so many products to choose from and so many variables involved I wouldn't be here asking lol. Anyways, I understand what your saying. Just looking for a general "system" or "program" to implement without too many exhausting efforts. thank you

hort101 likes this.
  8. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Silver Member

A distributor wants your business and is going to help you with what you need for your area.

kemco and kawasaki guy like this.
  9. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

It's not that anyone doesn't want to help you here it's just your question is so general in nature. Consider talking to stores that supply professional applicators, not Home Depot BTW. To answer your question one could write a book. I deal in warm season turf so I can't really give you good info.

10. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Also it's learning "curve" not curb I believe. Don't start doing apps until you have a good understanding.