1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Fert applications

Discussion in 'Lawn Care Business Management' started by jays886, Oct 21, 2017.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Ark

Also post your questions in the Herb & Pest Applications forum

2. jays886

jays886 LawnSite Member

Thank you for your first post reply, as far as the grammatical correction - clearly a typo (thank you so much for pointing that out). I feel as if general questions on this site offend some and strike a cord. Not trying to trigger anyone here.
    Patriot Services and jc1 gave me a general answer I was looking for - very helpful- thanks again. To the other responses - why waste ur energy typing if only to be condescending? Not looking for irrelevant negative responses that don't don't serve anyone any good. Go to craigslist rant section if it makes you feel better.

3. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

Jays, I’m in the same situation as you. We are moving into the spray apps this coming year as well. I found some good info on YouTube.

4. kemco

kemco LawnSite Bronze Member

When I first got into the spray app side I would say the threads on here were invaluable. Then what was also invaluable was my chem rep. I flat out told him I was new to this side of the biz, been cutting for almost 20 years. Told him I didn't want to be beat out by using cheap chems or going the cheap route. If the "big guys" were using it I wanted to use it too. And he literally put together a complete annual programs for me as a starter. Now withjn the first year I had already tweaked it some and have never stopped. But I would email him questions such as... This particular 3way doesn't seem to be doing much to clover you got a better product? And he would respond maybe yes, then tell me it's more expensive but worth the extra $. He's never steered me wrong. That was just an example. But others like I'm killing all the weeds but having a difficult home with wild violet any suggestions? That was a true story there. And got a quick and good response. Get to know your chem dealer and as someone else stated buy him a cup of coffee. They want your business.

5. C&C Landscaping

C&C Landscaping LawnSite Member

Funny you say this. Had a meeting with him at the New Jersey Turfgrass Expo last week. He is putting a few programs together for me.
    Thanks for the response. Clay

hort101 likes this.
  6. grassmonkey0311

grassmonkey0311 LawnSite Gold Member
    from MD/NC

Clay, do you guys offer mowing as well or are you converting out of mowing and into ferts?

7. HCP

HCP LawnSite Member

8. HCP

HCP LawnSite Member

Jays886 Iam down south and I’m also new to this business I agree there is limited information on the business and it is a learning curve... I recommend not doing high rates until you get very familiar with the chemicals. Also utilize your books, local chemical salesmen and your county extension agent... best of luck

9. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

Do some research on what your types of grass needs, and more importantly when. Check with your local university for this, or any university with a simular grass type. For us its cool season turf. In terms of broadleaf. We are mainly a liquid company, so atleast 2-3 apps get a blanket spray. If we are not using any fertilizer, it gets a spot spray.