1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

    Dismiss Notice

fert question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by touhey33, Jan 19, 2005.

  1. touhey33

    touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 778

    Do I need a liscense to apply granular fertilizer and preventive weed control. I don't wish to apply pesticides, but just like a four step fertilization program. Please Help and explain.

    Green Envy Lawn Care
  2. Smithers

    Smithers LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,265

    first, there is a fertilizer forum.

    second, i think you dont need a license for STRAIGHT fertilizer. for anything that will kill weeds or any other problems, you do need a license.
  3. lqmustang

    lqmustang LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 620

    You don't say where you are except for the zip code. Look like you might be from Ohio? If so you DO need a pesticide license to apply fertilizers commercially.

    TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,138

    if you don't get caught. if you are commercial you need a lic if you are doing it for free no prob but try to tell the man you work for free.
  5. TSM

    TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA
    Messages: 707

    preventative weed control = pesticide
  6. westwind

    westwind LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 444

    minnesota requires a liscence for any commercial application. (service for hire)
  7. touhey33

    touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 778

    I am from Indiana
  8. sjj14

    sjj14 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 97

    I would not apply anything to anyones property without it. This is for your protection as well as the customers. Should anything go wrong with the app. pesticide or non pesticide not having a license can only hurt you. Cant say about your state but in most, the tests are straight forward and easily obtained. Look into your states dept. of Ag. for requirements and I think you will find what you need.
  9. jajwrigh

    jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN
    Messages: 1,405

    I am in Indiana too and fully licensed. PM me and I will give you all of the information that you need to be legal. Please take this seriously!! I wish someone could have helped me this way!
  10. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,484

    I'm also in Indiana and yes you do have to be certified and have a license and insured to apply fert.weed control, or round-up on curbs... check with the IOSC website to answer your questions. :)

Share This Page