Fertilization & Aeration Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by westernmdlawn, Feb 10, 2005.

  1. westernmdlawn

    westernmdlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 98

    Does anyone know if I need a license to do residential and commercial lawn fertilizations in the state of Maryland. I don't think that I do....wondered if anyone was positive about it though. Also, how do you become educated about how to properly fertilize differing types of lawns (i.e., conditions, species, etc). I was thinking of adding an Aeration/Fert. program to my services this year. Any help would be much appreciated!

    Thanks! P.S. - Anyone interested in a 1994 Arctic Cat Wildcat 700 EFI snowmobile? Low Miles, Excellent condition. Best Offer$ !!! westernmdlawn@hotmail.com

    PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,534

    Take the track off the sled and install a track with aerator tines on it and you can ride and work at the same time.

    Don't know Maryland for sure but most places will let you fertilize but you can not put down any thing with a pesticide in it.
  3. westernmdlawn

    westernmdlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 98

    Thanks for the reply, hell thats a great idea for the sled, I'll have to try that soon!
  4. westernmdlawn

    westernmdlawn LawnSite Member
    Messages: 98

    Also, another question: If you core aerate and pull plugs out with a power aerator, do you pick up the plugs typically or leave them to be mulched with mowers???
    If you pick them up, how do you do it quickly?
  5. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963

    Leave them to break down. You would be removing alot of dirt if you picked them up.
  6. qps

    qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy
    Messages: 1,484

    Yeah I pick up all the plugs...dang my back hurts :)
  7. thomsoutdoor

    thomsoutdoor LawnSite Platinum Member
    Messages: 4,444

    If you are going to apply pesticides you are going need a License. I don't think you need a license for aeration. The MDA in the last few years made it a little easier to get your license. You can take a few classes through CCBC in order to qualify to get your license. The classes were well worth it. The classes basically consist of turf management,trees, shrubs,and pesticide safety. If interested let me know and I can dig up the information. Mark at "thomsoutdoor@yahoo.com"
  8. Does he need a license to apply fert only? That was the question!
  9. lawn king

    lawn king LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,421

    Call the maryland pesticide bureau and ask them!
  10. jajwrigh

    jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN
    Messages: 1,405

    :blob3: :blob3: :blob3:

Share This Page