Fertilizer and weed control applications in Indiana?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Prestige-Lawncare, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. Prestige-Lawncare

    Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 753

    What do I need (or who do I check with to find out) to apply fertilizer and weed control in the State of Indiana? It's not something I want to get into a whole lot ... but maybe on some select properties ... at least for now anyway.

  2. Prestige-Lawncare

    Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 753

    Ohh ... I forgot to add ... this will only be dry applications of fertilizer and weed control products ... no spraying of liquid chemicals ... though I doubt there is any difference in qualifications for applying either type of chemicals.
  3. prostriper

    prostriper LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 336

    The required publications and testing is usually provided through the states Department of Agriculture. Here in Michigan most of the manuals are avalable on line. But I went to your states DOA site and it is a cluster flack. You should be able to drop in the dept. office and pick up required literature.
  4. ATVracer

    ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana
    Messages: 346


    If this link works it will tell you everything you need to know. There is no license requirement to do granular fertilizer applications. Anything with weed control such as weed and feed requires a pesticide license. It will cost between 500-600 bucks if you need overnight accomodations for everything required to get licensed, maybe even more than that.
  5. lucky4511

    lucky4511 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 66

    In Indiana you need to be licensed with the Indiana State Chemist Office..go to www.purdue.edu - at the bottom of the page search for the state chemist office and it will send you to the right area
  6. rossc_83

    rossc_83 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    I don't know the level of knowledge you have already, but there is an Indiana Green Expo in Indy the 10th-12th of January. I'm not sure if they offer the tests there. You need to pass the core and 3b(turf) tests which you may have to go to Purdue to take. After passing, you need to send $ to Carl Rew who is the state chemist (his office is at lily hall @ purdue). The OISC website should have more details, hope I was some help
  7. Prestige-Lawncare

    Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 753

    Looks as though you really don't need anything to apply fertilizer ... but Weed & Feed is a different story.

Share This Page