Fertilizer application help please

Smokindog

LawnSite Senior Member
My last pallet of fertilizer is gone (accumulated end of season close out buys) and my source for relatively inexpensive fertilizer (slow release) has pretty much dried up. I have a lot of lawn so cost of fertilizer is huge to me.

I drove out into "the country" around DFW and picked up some fertilizer at an AG supply for less than 1/2 the price of the big box brands (even store brands). Could have gotten it even cheaper if I drove further but this was a good start :) As you may guess, there is no slow release in this product.

Even with the "typical" slow release fertilizer I applied at 1/2 the rate and double the frequency (in the rainy times I may go 1/3 to 3 to reduce run off, ...).

Any tips for me to apply the new fertilizer? I remember as a kid this was more the norm and we'd apply it in small quantities and make sure it's well watered (50+ years ago).

Is my current practice still AOK or should I consider 1/4 the rate and 4 times the cycles???

Lawn is Bermuda 419 and I'm in North Texas (DFW area). More than an are. Also have St. Aug (Del Mar) more than an acre. Mostly sandy loam soil. I mow twice weekly, sometimes more.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

Last edited:

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah, small amounts pretty often. I would keep your schedule as-is to start.

I gauge the color for my application unless I really need the full vigorous growth. If the 419 is nice and dark green, hold off another week and you'll see how often you need to go with it, you may not need to change a thing.

Mizzou21

LawnSite Member
What did you get 46-0-0 Urea? As long as time isn't an issue I think 1/4 lb of N per week would be good, you could do a 1/2 LB every other week too. You can also apply it at full rate just obviously try to avoid doing it in the heat of the day and I'd probably water it in to be safe.

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
How much did you pay?

I swear it looks expensive but we are seeing so little leaching from polymer and sulfur coated urea that I'm beginning to think it's more cost effective.

OP
Smokindog

Smokindog

LawnSite Senior Member
Here's the price list of where I went. If I go out another 30-40 miles the places have no websites and are 10-20% less.

http://justinseed.com/fertilizer/bagged-fertilizer

I picked up some of each of these for different needs
Their bagged sulfur coated is no big savings as compared to the big box stores.

Last edited:

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Yeah that's a bit steep, we can get 43-0-0 100% XCU which we use a lot of for a commercial client with around 100 acres at 46 sites. If you ever come across it I think it would be great on Bermuda, you can put down 2 lbs N per 1k at a time with no burn and not have to worry about it leaching out.

OP
Smokindog

Smokindog

LawnSite Senior Member
It's still a step in the right direction for a 30 mile round trip :) I"ll take a 50% reduction in upcoming cost any day of the week!

I was buying out 29-0-4 (ish) store brands/generic brands around here at the end of each season on closeout at about $10-12 (on average) per 42 pounds so about the same price. The retail price in season was about $30-$40. It was about 30% slow release with iron. Unfortunately, all these stores have slowly gotten their inventory management under control of late.

I can also buy bulk (1K lbs min) and I've got the place to store it but I don't want to end up on a terrorist watch list ;)

I got the 30-10-10 to help out where I'm killing off what I believe was creeping bent that got mixed in to my Bermuda using Agrisel Sulfentrazone 4F Herbicide. I'm pleased with how that project is going!

Yeah that's a bit steep, we can get 43-0-0 100% XCU which we use a lot of for a commercial client with around 100 acres at 46 sites. If you ever come across it I think it would be great on Bermuda, you can put down 2 lbs N per 1k at a time with no burn and not have to worry about it leaching out.

Last edited: