• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Fertilizer for Fox Tail Palm Tree

toicy4ya

LawnSite Member
Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a fox tail palm tree about 9ft tall from Lowes. I intend to plant it in front of my home in Fl. Can anyone recommend a good fertilizer? I'm fairly new to this and while I have done some research, some of the applications I've come across almost seem like rocket science to me.

"apply a fertilizer with a ratio of 2N (nitrogen) -1P (phosphorous) -3K (potassium) -1MG (magnesium) such as 8-2-12-4 plus micronutrients which is 100% slow-release N and K. Use a rate of 1.5 lbs./100 sq."

What?!!!:oops:

Whatever ever happened to a simple bag of fertilizer. Can someone kindly help me out? If possible, I am looking for a ready mix bag I can pick up at Lowes or Home Depot.

Thanks in advance.

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Not many palm trees in Michigan--however until someone with more experience replies.

It sounds like way too much to me. And the high rate of slow-release potassium is rare. I think it should say per 1000 sqft not 100. You do not want ten times too much.
Buying from Lowes--go back and ask them about it. They may know nothing--which points out the advantage of buying from a garden store.
Drop by a real garden store and get their advice when you purchase a fertilizer actually suited to the situation.
100 sqft is 10 by10.
A thousand sqft is about 32 by 32. A circle of about 18 feet radius, 36 feet diameter.
Better yet--get a landscape company to do the tree care. They will know--and have the proper fertilizer on hand.

Last edited:

turfmd101

LawnSite Bronze Member
Screenshot_2020-10-18-14-19-41.png