1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

fertilizer fraud

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rmartin, Jul 23, 2004.

1. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

I almost lost it today after i came home from a long day of fertilizing. My neighbor pays a company to apply their fertilizer applcations. Or so they thought. when I pulled in the driveway I noticed the truck parked out in the street. So playing stupid I went over to see what he was using. I looked in his truck (he was out back) What did i see? Bags of childrens play sand. So i walked around the back to ask some questions.
    hey how much do you charge. 480.00 per year.
    What do you use? All lesco products
    How many apps a year? 6
    why are you spreading sand? (He almost dropped right there. ) Duh Ah Oh......its good for the soil.......Listen I said. I have been doing lawn maint for 5 years. I have training from a good school and i have my license for this.......He says well ive been doing it for 15 years, I was taught that way. "yeah ripping off people who dont have a clue." He then tells me that I am harrassing him and he will call the cops If I dont leave him alone. Well Sir I said I am a cop so you are out of luck there too. I just left and let him continue spreading his sand. I cannot believe this joker. What a fraud........ Now i normally stay out of other peoples business, but this is just wrong.........

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

That's your neighbors problem they should have hired you.

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

martin if you're a cop then stick to harrassing traffic violators and making up ficticious charges. leave us, umm, i mean them fertilzer crooks alone.

4. rmartin

rmartin LawnSite Member
    from mass

Hey if your just like him then you dont deserve to be in the business. Thats just a black eye for the hardworking honest companies out there doing the right things....

5. bobbygedd

from NJ

black eye huh? typical cop, always violent. and of course, you were only defending yourself.........

6. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Stopped at the coffee shop this morning. Had to walk across the parking lot and in between the cars in line at the drive-up window. I walked to the rear of the TGCL pick-up truck, and noticed the bags of fertilizer in the back. I went in, got my coffee, and stopped to talk to the 2 gentlemen who had parked to have their coffee. I asked why they had Lesco and Scott's products in the rear of the truck, along with several bags of play sand. All I got was "Have a Nice Day," and off they went. Makes you wonder.

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

cat litter works too

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Bobby, you seem to have had some bad experiences with the police. Care to illaborate? sp.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

sure, anyone care to hear? you wouldn't believe me anyhow

10. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Lets hear it bob
    I need a good laugh