Fertilizer license

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by JayB79, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. JayB79

    JayB79 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    Can anyone tell me if a 3A (turfgrass) license covers residential fertilizer and pesticide applications in Michigan? I got my license to spray chemicals on the golf course my family owned. I started my lawn care business last year and just wanted to make sure I was legal in that department. Thanks
  2. stumper1620

    stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,889

    3A covers turf no matter what. the real Question is as far as the core, are you Qualified as a commercial or private applicator? also, you need to have a business license before you can apply as your own business.
    that has special requirements that you may or may not be able to meet.
    one other thing, for managing a lawn you really should have 3A, 3B & 6 to cover most areas you will end up dealing with. another very desirable class is 7A (General pest) I need to get this one added to my services yet, Maybe next year.
    You can read up on all this at these sites:
  3. JayB79

    JayB79 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 2

    Thanks Steve for the info
  4. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    Yes, your certification, whether it be as a tech or aan applicator is NOT the same as the licence for the commercial business itself.

    NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 520

    How Does One Get There Fertilizer Lic.???
  6. Runner

    Runner LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,497

    You get your certifications, then work for someone for two years (minimum) Or, you can work for 1 year if you have a bachelor degree in turf management, horticulture, or some related field. After that, it is a matter of the proper paperwork,...a proof of experience form, insurance, and application for licensing.

Share This Page