1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Fertilizer,overseed, in what order

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bw, Mar 23, 2000.

1. bw

bw LawnSite Member

As some of you know from the lower post, i'm in Missouri, i'm working on my Mom and dad's yard, which is predominately weeds. last spring i fertilized with scotts (which also had a weed control) and overseeded. the seed took off really well, a couple weeks ago i put down some stuff to kill insects and bugs, cause it's been pretty warm. Now what do i do, Fertilize and try to kill some of the damn clover that's come up or go ahead and overseed again. I figured if i can get my mom and dads yard in tip top shape (it was about 75% weed) then i can offer my services to customers and get my applicators license. oh yeah what about moles, i know to get rid of grubs, but what else can i do, they're tearing the hell out of stuff. Dad also wants to put down a crab grass preventer. should i do that before i put the seed or fertilizer down? so many questions so little time.

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

what part of country are you in? here in PA now is the time to apply a crabbgrass preventer. you cannot seed for at least 3-4 months after putting down a pre emergent because it forms a barrior against any kind of seed germinating.