Fertilizer ratios N-P-K

ZYAL8R

LawnSite Member
i just bought a ton of 15-15-15 fertilizer. 50 pound bags, which is forty bags. paid about $220, or 5.50 a bag. i figuerd it was a good price. was going to by 40-0-0 but i figured all that damn nitrogen would be pushing it. slip and oops, brown lawn. 40-0-0 was 180 a ton. and it was not slow release.<br> i figured a lot of my newer lawns have not got a does of fertilizer in some years and though the extra P and K would do some good..... was wondering if it could possibly do to much good? or what will it do?<br>thanks <br>travis

yardsmith

LawnSite Senior Member
geez, can't believe you bought 2000 lbs. before you knew if it was what you needed or not!<br>15-15-15 is mainly for new plantings; flowers, shrubs, etc. & I use it sometimes for new lawns to perk up the soil. It has other uses also; check your resource materials to find out.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<p>

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
Since when does someone need a license for fertilizer?<p>Not the best mix for lawns. You will always be applying too much of one part, not enough of another. Maybe a local farmer would buy the load off you?<p>Bill

Toroguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
You could also blend the 15-15-15 with another ratio fertilizer. It would dilute your 15(3) but enhance your 6-1-2? Otherwise like the previous posts state put it in a garden or crop before planting.

Lazer

LawnSite Bronze Member
Different Lawns have different requirements.<p>If this is the only fertilizer you're using, it may not be the ideal choice, but the price is right and it is a balanced fertilizer.<p>I apply 5-8 tons of 19-19-19 per year, primarily on new lawns and underfed lawns to bring them up to a maintenance level.<br>

OP
Z

ZYAL8R

LawnSite Member
well some of it will be used for growing tomatoes, a little for some shrubs, and the rest will be mixed with 40-0-0 to boost the nitrogen and be put on the lawns. figured i would make it work for the price.<br>what will the extra P-K do to the lawns if i put down just the 15-15-15?? would there be enough N in this ration to green it up?<br>