Fertilizer recomendations needed for small residential lawn.

lawnelius rex

LawnSite Member
Hey everyone.

I am new here and new to lawn fertilizing. The application is for our small residential lawn in the Maple Valley Washington area.

We don't know what type of grass we have, and don't have any soil tests.

We bought the place last November, and the grass looked pretty green, so I am guessing they used to fertilize it. It was quite green earlier this spring but the growth has slowed to almost nothing and I am seeing some yellow blades mixed in. It gets enough water so I am guessing that it needs food.

I would like to get the dense dark green grass.

Since it hasn't been fertilized this year yet I was thinking about using some Scotts turf builder, as it has some iron in it also. However the ingredients look mostly like quick release, and I am concerned about burning the grass. The product reviews of people burning their grass aren't confidence inspiring either.

I am thinking about a more high quality slow release fertilizer, and maybe some liquid chelated iron sulfate also.

There is a SiteOne nearby but I don't know if they sell to individuals or not.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I could not find the active ingredients in Scotts. Usually good.
On the other hand...
Pennington lawn fertilizer shows about 10 percent of the 32 percent nitrogen is in a slow-release coated form. This leaves about 22 percent of the nitrogen as fast-release urea.
In Earthway and similar spreaders the setting is about 12.
Applied according to directions, I would not worry about fertilizer burn. Don't spill it. Do not apply a big blob of it, nor concentrate it in one spot. Some skill and experience is helpful, of course.

takervader

LawnSite Senior Member
SiteOne will sell to you, and Scotts is not all fast release. Just check that its got 2-3% iron and it should green up quickly. Do what Riggle says about burning.

Usually the bad burns are when you throw a lot of high N fert out, and get no rain to rain it in for a week, it sits on the leaves and the dew won't dissolve it, and that burns the grass. I've dropped a bag and spilled it, that burns it hard too.

OP
lawnelius rex

lawnelius rex

LawnSite Member
The Scotts turf builder specs I got from the picture of the back of the bag on their website which can be zoomed in on, but I couldn't read the last few lines clearly. But it seems to be the most readily available at the local hardware stores.

I was going to get the small hand held Scotts Whirl to apply it. I was trying to figure out how to spread it so I don't have overlap and over apply and burn the grass.

Ingredients are (except for the last few lines I couldn't quite read):

32-0-4
Total Nitrogen 32%
Ammoniacal Nitrogen 4.9%
Urea Nitrogen 15.1%
Other water soluble nitrogen 11%
Water insoluble nitrogen 1.0%

Soluble Potash K, O 4%
Sulfur 7%
7.0% Combined Sulfur
Iron Fe 2%
0.02% water soluble iron
Derived from Methylurea, Urea, Potassium Sulfate, Ammonium Sulfate, Iron Sucrolate

Contains 9% slowly released nitrogen from methylamoniumurea, dimethylamonniumurea, and water insoluble nitrogen

Top Forums