Fertilizer/RoundUp application license?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by Ormond32176, Oct 16, 2013.

  1. Ormond32176

    Ormond32176 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 217

    I am trying to find out more about this license, but when I search for it, the only thing that comes up is for pesticide application on the FDACS site. Are these two one in the same?

    What I am trying to do is if the homeowner says "Hey, can you spread 'x fertilizer' across my yard?" or "Can you spray weed killer in the cracks of my drive way?" I don't miss out on the easy money. Right now, all I can say is "due to nonsensical bureaucracy, I cannot legally do that."

    It gets old, and I would like to get this over with.

  2. JCLawn and more

    JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI
    Messages: 5,281

    There is no lisence for fertilizer only pesticide and herbicide and its the same licence.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. Ormond32176

    Ormond32176 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 217

    This is what threw me off: "Florida Statute 482.1562 states that all commercial fertilizer applicators must have a license from the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (FDACS) by January 1, 2014." But I think it is just a short online thing.

    And I guess here is a loophole:
    "A yardman who applies a pesticide to the lawn or
    ornamental plants of an individual residential
    property is exempted from licensing and certification
    requirements if the yardman applies pesticides owned
    and supplied by the individual property owner. The
    yardman cannot advertise for or solicit pest-control
    business and cannot hold himself out to the public as
    being engaged in pest control."
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. bugsNbows

    bugsNbows LawnSite Member
    Messages: 170

    Check with your local Extension office (IFAS) regarding the "RoundUp" license. Regarding fertilization, DEP will require a "license" by Jan.1. It is for anybody wanting to apply fertilizer and can be attained online or through a sanctioned course.
  5. Sprayjockey

    Sprayjockey LawnSite Member
    Messages: 4

    Here is some info for you on what you need. It is a lot of red tape, but it's what they require.
    Certification Requirements for
    Florida Commercial Fertilizer Applicators
    In order to improve ground water quality in
    the State of Florida, Commercial (For‐Hire)
    fertilizer applications are now regulated by
    several agencies.
    Fertilizer applicators may already be
    required to have completed the Green
    Industry’s Best Management Practices
    (GIBMP) training and have a valid Certificate
    of Completion on file if required by local
    government regulations.
    Florida Law requires EVERY Commercial
    Fertilizer Applicator to have the FDACS
    Limited Commercial Fertilizer Applicator
    Certificate (LCFAC) by January 1, 2014.
    This brochure was designed to provide you
    with information you may need to comply
    with regulations.
    NOTE: A fertilizer applicator with GIBMP
    training and/or the LCFAC certificate will:
    1. NOT BE ALLOWED to apply pesticides
    to turf or ornamental plants – including
    weed‐n‐feed products
    2. NOT BE ALLOWED to operate a pest
    control business, or
    3. NOT BE ALLOWED to supervise an
    “uncertified” person to make a fertilizer
    application under their “supervision or
    The Department of Environmental
    Protection (DEP) and the University of
    Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural
    Sciences (UF/IFAS) have partnered to
    provide the necessary GIBMP training.
    All scheduled training is listed on the official
    website under “professionals” at
    http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu. This site will also
    offer on‐line training AND training is
    available in Spanish.
    To receive a GIBMP certificate, a person
    must attend the course and pass the course
    examination with a score of 75% or higher.
    GIBMP training is required for all persons
    who will need a FDACS Limited Commercial
    Fertilizer Certificate. This certificate is
    required for any person making a fertilizer
    application “for‐hire”.
    Persons who are making fertilizer
    applications on property that their
    employer owns (for example ‐ golf courses,
    an apartment complex, or stadiums) are not
    required to obtain a FDACS LCFAC
    certificate BUT MAY STILL need the GIBMP
    training to comply with local ordinances.
    A person will submit an Application for
    Limited Commercial Fertilizer Applicator
    Certificate, DACS form 13677, (available
    now at:
    to the Department of Agriculture and
    Consumer Services for processing.
    A person must submit proof that they have
    attended the GIBMP training (a copy of
    their certificate will be satisfactory) and
    submit a fee of $25.
    The certificate is valid for 4 years from date
    of issuance.
    Prior to renewal, a person must obtain 4
    hours of Continuing Education Training (2
    hours of which must be in BMP topics) and
    submit this proof of training with their
    renewal application and renewal fee. (Note:
    local ordinances may require MORE than 4
    hours of CEU training.)
    A web link about GIBMP training has been
    provided to answer additional questions at:
    verview.htm and for BMP requirements:
  6. Tri-City Outdoors

    Tri-City Outdoors LawnSite Member
    Messages: 152

    You need the limited certification. this allows you to use anything "caution" labeled in the beds only with a 5 gal or smaller sprayer


    Use this link for finding a class. you must do class and test the 1st time. The extension office located in Deland in the nearest I believe. They are having a class on 10-31-13. Myself and my key employees will be that class.

    Starting in 2014 you must have the B.M.P. certification to apply fertilizer. I chose to have my employees do it online but you can do a class search wit the link above. Link below for mp online


    These are not licenses they are certifications. Also with the BMP going into effect (Which was delayed so the public was informed better). New enforcement officers have been or will be hired.
  7. I still need to get this....I cant believe 2014 is already here...I remember this notice like 3 years ago...

Share This Page