Fertilizer Sprayers

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by Premiumlawns, Mar 21, 2014.

  1. Premiumlawns

    Premiumlawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    I am new to the fertilizing world. I am currently using granular fertilizer that covers about 9,000 sq per 40lbs bag. My cost is about $25 a bag. I am not making too much profit because I don't want to charge my customers an outrageous amount. I have a few accounts that are 30,000 - 50,000 sq that I mow and I would like to give them a reasonable rate to fertilize and also make a good profit.

    I am looking at a sprayer from tractor supply to start off with. It sprays at 2.1 gpm and has a 30 gal tank. I know its not big but it would do to start with. Here's the link.


    Let me know if this is something I could make work for awhile or not.
  2. greendoctor

    greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 10,132

    A 30-50,000 lawn area requires a 200 gallon tank. Do a search on liquid fertilizers. I agree that they can be a good tool for management of warm season grasses growing under difficult conditions. However, you need the right equipment to make the application. A 30 gallon tank is good for maybe 12,000 sq ft max and the pump system had better be capable of 6 GPM to make that application in an economical amount of time.
  3. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,807

    Shop around. The main problem is that your fert cost is too high. Talk to several suppliers. Dry fertilizer is faster and the equipment is cheaper--the application just costs less, due to labor and equipment savings.
    Remember you cannot apply crabgrass or weed control without spray certification.
    I assume you are not licensed--try to get your spray license.
  4. lilmarvin4064

    lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 757

    True, but I would avoid calling it a "spray license". It is a pesticide license. Regardless of whether the pesticde is a liquid or granular you will still need a license if you are a business. There are too many people that assume you only need the license if you are spraying. Also many people think that pesticides = insecticides. Pesticides are herbicides (pre-emergents, post-emergents, etc) fungicides, insecticides, rodenticides, etc. Even growth regulators in my state require a pesticide license. Some states also require a separate license for fertilizer.

    If you are business and you go to Lowes, Home Depot to buy some Scotts Halts, or weed-n-feed, and you intend to apply to a customer lawn for money, you need to have a license.
  5. Premiumlawns

    Premiumlawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    Thanks for the advice. I know all the ins and outs of what you need a license for and things like that. I am taking the applicators class in April.(its the next available class)

    I was going by the things that I read on here that the average is 1 gallon per 1,000sq and about 2gpm. In that forum it said they could spray 1,000sq in about 30 seconds.
  6. intrigue12

    intrigue12 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 93

    I was using John Deere Landscapes for our products and was paying on average $20-22 per bag depending on product. This year we are going with Advanced Turf Solutions and will be paying an average of $15-17 per bag for the same if not better product. Maybe call around and shop for the best price.
  7. aaronmg

    aaronmg LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 357

    By average do you mean applying with a skid or a rider?
  8. Premiumlawns

    Premiumlawns LawnSite Member
    Messages: 34

    They were using a skid. I understand it would take more with this pull behind.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Share This Page